City of Vancouver
Survey Assistant II
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function:
The primary duty of the Survey Assistant II is to assist a British Columbia Land Surveyor in the surveying of lands throughout the City. This position is part of the Land Survey Branch team.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- The Survey Assistant II is involved with projects that include legal surveys to establish property boundaries and a range of other legal, occupation, construction, topographic, quantity and site surveys.
- This position assists in the full range of survey tasks with both manual and automated duties such as the operation of modern legal survey tools including Global Positioning Systems, Automatic and Digital Levels, Robotic Total Stations and Data Collection Equipment.
- This position performs physical labour in all types of weather including searching for and setting of legal survey posts, taking measurements and establishing lines and grades, often in a busy urban environment.
- Additional duties include performing simple field surveys, maintaining field equipment, filing and indexing survey records, download of field data, researching field projects in the Land Survey Branch vault, reducing field notes of level loops, scanning and photocopying, basic computer data entry and assisting Engineering Services with delivery of information handouts, pick-up or delivery of goods and equipment and the operation of passenger cars, trucks and vans.
Education and Experience
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented with survey theory course work and some related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience is required.
- A Diploma of Technology in Geomatics would be an asset.
- A Certificate of Completion from the Canadian Board of Examiners for Professional Land Surveyors or a BCIT Bachelor of Science Technology Degree in Geomatics would be an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Related experience or training with modern survey equipment including Global Positioning Systems, Automatic and Digital Levels, Robotic Total Stations and Data Collection tools is required.
- Knowledge of municipal surveying procedures and safety methods is required.
- Ability to use and care for tools and equipment necessary to do the work is also required.
- The incumbent must have demonstrated ability to create and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships, ability to deal with the public in a courteous and efficient manner at all times, have effective verbal and writing skills, demonstrated ability to perform detailed work accurately, and an aptitude for training and advancement to higher levels of engineering work.
- Potential to pursue a career as a British Columbia Land Surveyor together with a Certificate of Completion from the Canadian Board of Examiners for Professional Land Surveyors or a BCIT Bachelor of Science Technology Degree in Geomatics would be an asset.
- Candidates must be able to perform physical work outdoors in all weather conditions for extended periods of time.
A current and valid BC driver’s license is a requirement of this position. Transportation arrangements must meet operational requirements of the Department.
Field tests will be conducted as part of the selection process.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: May 2018
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-015, $24.81 to $29.16 per hour
Application Close: April 27, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Back to Top
Published at Fri, 20 Apr 2018 22:06:00 +0000