Sport Leader – Summer Camps
Come join our amazing Team!
Position Type: Auxiliary
Department: Community Sports
Applicant Closing Date: May 21, 2019
Anticipated Start Date: June 2019
*Reposted on May 14, 2019
The Richmond Olympic Oval is a breathtaking venue on the banks of the Fraser River. Located in the City of Richmond, a culturally diverse and geographically unique community centrally located on Canada’s West Coast, in Metro Vancouver. The Richmond Olympic Oval is an international centre of excellence for sports, health and wellness, culture and entertainment used by members of our community and those seeking to wear the maple leaf on the international stage.
If you have a passion for sports, teaching and love working in a team environment then we want to hear from you. Not only will you gain valuable leadership experience you can teach what you love, have fun and make lasting memories for our campers! To view our Summer Camps on offer this year, please visit http://richmondoval.ca/community-sport/sport-camps/summercamps/.
A day in the life of the Sport Leader includes,
- Works in a team environment toensure the participant has a positive experience while at the Richmond Olympic Oval.
- Monitors and maintains the integrity, appearance, and safety of all Oval sport equipment and surroundings.
- Coaches and instructs activities and lessons with enthusiasm, instructs based on objectives, and adjusts activities based on age, skill and athletic levels.
- Demonstrates leadership, energy, and enthusiasm to the teaching environment each day.
- Ensures that appropriate skills are being taught to participants and progression through levels takes place.
- Demonstrates support to all other sport leaders, as needed.
- Records and communicates feedback, strengths, and weaknesses with supervisors, to ensure important information is being communicated.
- Provides exceptional customer service.
Duties specific to camps:
- Assists in the creation of sport activities and schedules for camps.
- Ensures a safe environment for all and oversees sign-in and sign-out of camp participants.
- Reports to the Sport Camp Programmer and Camp Supervisor providing updates to ensure important information is being communicated.
- Other camp related tasks as assigned.
Your schedule at the Oval will look like,
- Hours of work vary between 10 hours to 37.5 hours per week.
- Must be available during summer camps weeks which include Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30pm in July and August.
As a part of your application, you will be asked to confirm your availability by week and sporting experience.
Payrate: $17.74 – $21.29 per hour (based on experience and qualifications, includes in-lieu)
Perks: Our workplace culture embraces People, Excellence, Leadership, Team and Innovation.
- Access to 20,000sq ft fitness centre with top class facilities, over 100 pieces of strength and cardio equipment, 4-storey climbing wall, YYoga studio, endless fitness classes, Olympic sized ice rinks and the Richmond Olympic Experience (ROX) museum..
- Collaborative and fun team environment.
- Opportunity to work in various auxiliary positions at the Richmond Olympic Oval to grow your knowledge and experience.
The qualifications and skills you bring to this role include,
- Successful completion of Grade 12 preferred.
- Participation or graduation in a recognized, sport related post-secondary program is an asset.
- Sport Specific NCCP Certificates an asset.
- Certification of NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills, Kids Can Move, or Run Jump Throw, or equivalent fundamental movement skills training.
- Valid Standard First Aid, CPR-C and AED Certificate.
- Experience working with children in a sport camp or related setting as a leader or volunteer.
- Proven athletic ability and strong knowledge of a variety of sports and age-appropriate sport activities for children aged 3-12 years old.
- Ability and confidence to coach and lead large groups.
- Ability to deal with a diversity of people in a calm, courteous, and effective manner.
- Effective communication, interpersonal, prioritization, planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to work within a team environment is essential.
- Flexibility with availability.
- Must be able to complete a successful Criminal Record Check.
The Richmond Olympic Oval is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity. We also recognize unique styles, perspectives, beliefs and creativity that support a diverse, respectful, inclusive and collaborative work environment.
If you are personable, have a great attitude, are passionate about delivering exceptional customer service and have a genuine interest in contributing to the greater good of our company and our community, we want to hear from you!