Requisition ID: 13493
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Webmaster-SharePoint is responsible for building, maintaining and providing software support for a wide range of the City’s web and application infrastructure. The position is specifically responsible for the successful management, implementation support and enhancement of the City’s SharePoint environment as well as other new and existing web technologies that further the business goals of the City.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
Reporting to the Technical Lead, Web Architecture, the exciting and challenging role of Application Systems Specialist – SharePoint is responsible for building, maintaining and providing software support for the wide range of the City’s web and application infrastructure. The position is responsible for successful management, implementation, and security of all new and existing web technologies that further the business goals of the City.
- Manages, implements and updates all web technologies for the City of Vancouver.
- Responsible for the design, development, support and ongoing enhancements of the corporate SharePoint environment
- Designs, develops and implements complex enterprise software solutions on SharePoint platform. Develops and implements master pages, views, forms, templates, external lists, external content types, custom lists, web parts, master pages and other custom components
- Plans, installs, configures, maintains and troubleshoots software on the corporate internet and intranet servers; works with technical specialists, vendors and various working groups & committees
- Plans web technology implementation and upgrades; ensures the corporate web infrastructure is not at risk relative to internet and web security threats
- Monitors servers and logs for outages, resource management, security and intrusion detection; applies all web software upgrades and patches as necessary to keep web servers up to date and secured.
- Supports strategic planning for the use of the intranet within the city providing recommendations for technology options and researching trends in web technology
- Maintains the Open Text and SharePoint infrastructure, and creates system documentation and templates for the web environment
- Collaborates with Application Developers to install and configure web-based applications and components
- Performs other related duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Diploma in Computer Science or a related discipline and four years of related experience working with network and web technologies; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of SharePoint 2016, SharePoint online, SharePoint designer.
- Solid understanding of SharePoint Online and Office 365 Administration
- Experience designing and architecting intranet, extranet and portal solutions in SharePoint Online and SharePoint 2013/2016
- Experience migrating to SharePoint Online
- Knowledge of web infrastructure and software components, with experience in managing, installing, and operating leading search application or appliances (e.g., Mindbreeze, Elastic Search, SharePoint enterprise search)
- Knowledge of content management systems; including authentication, web security, server infrastructure, high availability, business continuity and disaster recovery
- Knowledge of provisioning and maintaining services in private and or public cloud-based environments (e.g. Microsoft Azure, AWS)
- Knowledge of operating systems and web servers (e.g., Windows 2008/2016,Ubuntu Linux/Red Hat Linux, IS, Apache, Tomcat)
- Knowledge of scripting language (e.g., PowerShell, JSP, ASP.NET, Java, ColdFusion) and database-driven websites with HTML, CSS, XSLT.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP, DNS, firewall and proxies, and HTTP/HTTPS, and project management methodology.
- Knowledge of implementing web sites compliant with current web standards and web usability and accessibility initiatives, including cross-browser and cross-platform compatibility, and new technology such as handhelds.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and frequent deadline pressures, set priorities, and work in an organized manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external contacts and to provide advice, information, and recommendations.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to evaluate and make recommendations on proposed hardware and software acquisitions.
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: July 2019
Position End Date: May 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-027: $41.29 to $48.78 per hour
Application Close: July 19, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.