Operator III – Urban Forestry
The City of West Kelowna is a vibrant, growing city located on the west shores of beautiful Okanagan Lake. Our employees consistently achieve remarkable results in a fast paced and innovative environment. The City of West Kelowna’s Parks Department has an opening for a full time permanent Operator III – Urban Forestry position.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
The Operator will participate in the development and application of the annual maintenance programs for the City of West Kelowna’s various landscape infrastructure by performing skilled arboriculture work involving tree and shrub pruning, planting, removal of trees and general tree care. This position will work with other senior staff to develop and implement daily work plans to meet the day-to-day needs of the Parks department and implement special projects related to the area of responsibility and will monitor and report tree/landscape related contractor performance; safe work procedure compliance and quality measure to Manager. This position will also perform minor repairs and assist with assembly, removal and adjustments of attachments of various pieces of equipment and streetscape fixtures. The successful candidate will be able to work flexible hours including shift work and emergency call-outs if needed.
- Grade 12 education plus Certified B.C. Forest Safety Council Faller and Bucker;
- Valid I.S.A (International Society of Arborists) certification;
- Valid certification in Hazard Tree Risk Management inspections;
- Occupational First Aid Level I;
- Completion of an 8 hour WorkSafe BC recognized course in the safe operation of chainsaws;
- Arboriculture Certification and Certified Irrigation Technician Level 2 certification through IIABC is an asset;
- Minimum of 4 years related experience;
- Demonstrable aptitude in all aspects of Park operations and maintenance, ie. specialized equipment operations;
- Knowledge and previous experience operating various pieces of equipment such as small tractors, chainsaws, jackhammers, compressors, tamping machines, snow blowers, weed eaters, lawnmowers, saws, a variety of hand tools, etc.
- Good physical condition with sufficient strength and stamina to perform heavy manual work
- Necessary knowledge of safe working and operating procedures related to equipment and tools and work procedures required to assure public safety;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team;
- Able to courteously deal with the public, contractors, and co-workers under stressful conditions and / or tight timelines;
- Minimum of a valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License
Please apply online at www.westkelownacity.ca/jobs. We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
COMPETITION 18-49E | CLOSES AUGUST 13, 2018 | PAY $32.04/40HR/WK
Back to Top
Published at Thu, 19 Jul 2018 18:22:00 +0000