Requisition ID: 13221
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Engineering Services contributes to the overall City purpose by providing many services and public works facilities. The Sewer Operations is looking for enthusiastic, hardworking individuals to provide labour assistance including operating a variety of small equipment / trucks and related construction duties, as well as emergency work, while following operational and safety procedures.
The Sewer Operations branch functions 365 days/year. This position requires the flexibility to work Monday to Friday from 7:00am to 3:30pm and may change due to operational requirements.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Operations Workers are assigned to manual work entailing considerable physical effort and agility in the safe performance of a variety of unskilled and semi-skilled jobs to maintain and construct the City’s sewer and water system. The Operations Worker will drive and operate a variety of equipment while performing tasks.
Functional and/or physical assessment related to the bona fide position requirements may be required. Successful candidates will need to be fit tested for respirators as operationally required.
Education and Experience:
- Up to completion of high school and some laboring experience in construction.
- Experience working in roles requiring learning new skills, procedures and processes.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: (Hands on Training Available)
- Knowledge of safe work procedures.
- Sound knowledge of the tools, material and equipment used in the work.
- Some knowledge of construction and maintenance tasks.
- Some knowledge of the functions of the branch concerned and the established practices in carrying out the work.
- Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to perform heavy physical labour.
- Ability to understand and follow safe work guidelines and procedures and to work in a safe manner.
- Ability to lift, push and pull heavy objects.
- Ability to walk or stand continuously with frequent bending or twisting.
- Ability to work close to moving machinery and in high traffic areas.
- Ability to work on ladders, elevated areas and/or confined spaces.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions, and on uneven surfaces.
- Ability to use a variety of tools and equipment.
- Ability to exercise some independence of judgment and action in the routine or simple aspects of the work.
- Ability to courteously answer questions and deal with the public.
- Skill in the use of a variety of tools and equipment.
Driver License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License with or higher and a Satisfactory driving record
- Candidates must attach the following to be considered:
- Commercial Driving Records Abstract (N Print) for the past 5 years (no more than 14 days prior to this posting)
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 N/Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: September 2019
Salary Information: Pay Grade-305: $27.54 per hour
Number of Positions: 10
Application Close: July 28, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.