Manager, Portfolio Operations
Requisition ID: 13189
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
A key component of the Operations and Maintenance Group of Facilities Operations, this is a technical, leadership position that will manage the base building plant operations and building services for a portfolio of City facilities. The portfolio will encompass a number of buildings totaling approximately 2.3 million square feet at an estimated value of $1.4 billion.
This position will be responsible for the technical and supervisory oversight of building operations ensuring that the facilities within that portfolio are:
- Operated and maintained in compliance with all regulatory requirements
- Kept in good and clean condition
- Provide an effective platform from which clients can deliver their services
- Run efficiently and as economically as possible
This position provides the leadership and technical oversight of the mechanical, general maintenance and janitorial staff assigned to portfolio of approximately 80 RFT and 50 to 60 Auxiliary staff. They are involved in the development and implementation of long and short term maintenance planning as it pertains to the respective portfolios. This position assists the Associate Director, Building Maintenance and Operations in developing strategic goals and objectives and is responsible for the health and welfare of the staff in their Operations Portfolio.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
This position reports to the Associate Director, Building Maintenance and Operations but has frequent interaction with other staff and management in REFM and in other City Departments such as Vancouver Public Library, Civic Theatres, Engineering, VPD, VFRS, Community Services and Park Board. There is also considerable interaction with external agencies such as Community Centre Associations, Non-profit Operators, WorkSafe BC and Technical Safety BC. This position will have a minimum of 3 direct reports. This position will also interact with the other key Managers in Facilities Operations on a daily basis to ensure the delivery of Integrated Facilities Operations across the City.
Responsible for Building Operations, this position is responsible for overseeing all elements of building operations and for the customer relationship management between Real Estate and Facilities Management and the client/partner Department occupying the facilities; these include both internal and external clients. These duties will include:
Policies, Procedures and Practices
- Developing policies, procedures and practices to ensure regulatory compliance of all building systems and equipment
- Aligning and standardizing operating and safety protocols and practices across all portfolios and buildings
- Assessing the level of effectiveness of operational and occupation health and safety protocols and ensuring that they are aligned and consistent across all facilities and portfolios
- Overseeing the completion of Risk Assessments to identify gaps in regulatory compliance or industry best practice for Building Operations and developing solutions to resolve issues
- Providing the leadership, guidance, problem solving and technical direction to PortfolioSupervisory, technical(power engineers), general maintenance and janitorial staff serving the buildings on a daily basis
- Providing technical oversight of contractors or other City staff performing work in portfolio facilities
- Compiling, assessing and reporting on building operations metrics and performance
- Validates and recommending plant and equipment modifications, upgrades or replacements and determining preliminary cost estimates and priority ratings
- Overseeing the liaison between the building operations staff and client groups
- Preparing and submitting annual operating budget estimates and monitors and reports on cost variances monthly
- Assisting in the preparation and validation of specifications or scopes of work for service contracts, supplies and equipment purchases
- Assisting Supply Chain Management staff in assessing bids and tender submissions for building operations services or purchases
- Overseeing the effectiveness of Operator Level Maintenance (daily rounds) and Preventive or Demand Maintenance that is assigned to Portfolio staff
- Compiling, assessing and reporting on maintenance metrics and performance
- Receiving reports on equipment malfunctions and determining corrective action and directs subordinates accordingly
Client Relationship Management
- Providing the 2nd tier customer relationship management between Facilities Operations and partners and clients operating from City facilities
- Working closely with client representatives to resolve issues regarding services responsibilities and service delivery
- Responding to partner/client inquiries
- Liaising closely with client representatives regarding maintenance and operations program adjustments, service delivery changes and organizational structure changes
- Establishes and maintains effective communication and coordination with other divisions, project teams, and departments, consultants and contractors, and also with the different levels of government, outside agencies, not-for-profit organizations, associations and the general public
Integrated Facilities Operations
- Working closely with other Facilities Operations Management staff to:
- Identify and reslve issues impacting the operation of facilities
- Identify and implement Cntinuous Optimization initiatives in consultation with the Manager, Energy Management
- Review plans fr new construction and renovations and provide comments/suggestions to ensure that facilities can be properly operated and maintained
Emergency Planning and Operations
- Assists in the development of Emergency Response Plans
- Is subject to recall after hours in the event of emergencies, disasters and other special events as directed by the Director, Facilities Operations
- In the event of emergencies, will respond to facilities and provide On-scene management or function as staff in the Facilities Operations Damage Assessment and Control Centre
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12
- Building Systems Technician or Technologist and a minimum of six to eight years’ experience in building maintenance or building operations, or acceptable combination of education and experience
- Experience with building systems and equipment operations
- Experience in developing policies, procedures and protocol
- Experience in managing regulatory compliance issues with respect to building operations
- Experience in developing and overseeing building re-commissioning program
- Experience in developing and implementing Facilities Optimization projects
- Demonstrated experience with human resources and labour relations management in a unionized environment, including recruitment, coaching, performance planning, training, change management, discipline and termination, and representing employer at grievance hearings
- Experience in managing client expectations and developing and evaluating alternative service delivery models
- Experience and aptitude towards working in a team-based, continuous improvement environment
- A suitable combination of the above
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Exceptional leadership skills
- Think strategically and ability to develop long range plans
- Ability to develop and maintain effective client relationships
- Knowledge and understanding of facility operating costs
- Thorough knowledge of building systems operating practices
- Knowledge of energy optimization theory and building re-commissioning practices
- Knowledge of building automation systems
- Effective conflict resolution skills
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and SAP applications.
- Knowledge of collective agreements and experience managing unionized employees
An Enhanced Reliability Check security clearance is a requirement of this position.
Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Transportation arrangements must meet the operations requirements of this position.
rements of this position.
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2019
Application Close: May 5, 2019
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.