City of Vancouver
Manager, Executive Administration – Office of General Manager
Requisition ID: 10663
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Manager, Executive Administration is responsible for managing the executive administrative team that provides support for the Office of the General Manager, the Deputy General Manager as well as the department’s senior management team of Directors. The work encompasses an extensive range of complex and confidential support services, ensuring consistency in practice and leading administrative or cross-departmental related projects.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the senior executive administrative support team by providing leadership/guidance, recruitment/selection, work assignment/workload management, coaching/mentoring and performance management
- Tracks and follows the goals, objectives and metrics of the Engineering strategic plan
- Manages the flow/storage of documents and inquiries from the public, Mayor and Council and other City Departments
- Monitors issues and tracks matters dealt with in Committee, Board or Council meeting on behalf of the Office of the General Manager
- Provides direction to the executive administrative team with regards to managing incoming and outgoing confidential and sensitive documents and enquiries
- Tracks and follows up on a variety of general Engineering correspondence and inquiries ensuring that responses to requests for information from the public, Mayor and Council, and other City departments are completed in a timely manner
- Responsible for the coordination of departmental reporting to the CMO and Risk Management on the Corporate Strategy including developing and maintaining an efficient system to log and track the Engineering Service’s strategic plan
- Leads and participates in interdepartmental project work including research, data compilation and analysis, report preparations and presentations.
- Researches various issues, programs or policies as required, and compiles information to provide high-level context to the GM and senior leadership team that supports decision making.
- Manages media calls (in conjunction with Communications) by determining the subject, deadlines, and necessary/appropriate follow through.
- Responsible for responding to questions by the public where directed by the senior leadership team.
- Leads and participates in interdepartmental project work
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Diploma or Degree in Business Administration, Commerce or related field
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar role
- Experience managing staff
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization and with the public in order to provide exceptional customer service
- Strong teamwork ethics, team building and networking skills
- Ability to research and analyze a variety of data and issues
- Ability to exercise substantial discretion and deal with highly sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to create a vision with clear expectations for staff and provide leadership necessary to set performance goals and coach employees
- Excellent judgement and constant initiative and diplomacy and tact
- Ability to multi-task, organize and prioritize work, all while under pressure with constant interruptions
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Superior ability to use computer software such as MS Suite, VanDocs, SharePoint and SAP
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: April 2018
Application Close: March 29, 2018
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Back to Top
Published at Tue, 13 Mar 2018 17:14:00 +0000