QR Code Link to This Post
Work Location: Queen Alexandra KidSafe Site, Grandview KidSafe Site, Nightingale KidSafe Site, Thunderbird KidSafe Site, Xpey’ KidSafe Site OR Cook KidSafe Site
Reports to: KidSafe Coordinator of Programming and Community Engagement
Dates: July 3-August 24, 2018 (closed weekends and August 6 for BC Day Stat). Time allotted for pre and post break meetings and reporting.
Hours: 9:00am – 4:00pm
Number of Openings: 1
candidates must have been registered as a full-time student in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year. For the summer months, these positions are funded through Service Canada’s Canada Summer Jobs Program. **
The role of the Child Support Worker is to work with the KidSafe Coordinator of Programming and Community Engagement, Site Coordinator, and Activity Leaders to ensure that children facing particular behavioural and social-emotional challenges are able to successfully and safely participate in KidSafe programming.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Direct Child Support
● Helping children integrate into KidSafe programs.
● Provide one – one counselling.
● Develop strategies and interventions to support participants.
● Identify, refer and follow-up support in case of child abuse of severe emotional/behavioural problems.
● Facilitate small social skills/self-esteem groups.
● Work with site coordinators to address issues that come up in small group counselling discussions.
● Work with staff groups by providing strategies to best support participants.
● Keep a daily journal record of daily events, planned group work and children served.
● A final report and participant feedback data is to be completed and shared with KidSafe Manager of Programs.
● Reporting on specific disclosures or participants shared with site coordinator or directly with school staff upon completion of session.
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
● University degree or college diploma in a social science program or significant experience and training in a related field.
● Experience working with children who have emotional or social challenges.
● Able and qualified to have counselling conversations with children and youth.
● Experience assisting individuals from diverse backgrounds.
● Capacity to design and facilitate group work, and lead groups in programs and in processes.
● Proven ability to develop rapport with children, youth, and adults in a variety of contexts.
● Demonstrated ability to work with children with behavioural, social, emotional and mental health/psychiatric issues.
● Ability to communicate effectively (both verbally and in writing) with children and their families, educational personnel, child protection social workers and resource workers, service providers and partners.
● Able to self-start, make judgment calls, and create new models/programs as needed
● First Aid certification
If you are interested in applying, please email your resume and cover letter ASAP in attention of Christina Vasilopoulos, Senior Coordinator, Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will remain open only until a suitable candidate is found. We encourage early application.
We thank all candidates for their interest but due to the volume of applications we will only contact those selected for an interview. No phone calls please.
KidSafe is committed to building a skilled and diverse team of professional employees; as such we are an equal opportunity employer.
Published at Wed, 04 Jul 2018 22:30:51 +0000