Requisition ID: 23838
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities. The City of Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation, and the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Main Purpose and Function
The Digital Strategist – Intranet plans, designs and delivers a variety of intranet platform content assets (e.g. text, graphics and maps, video and audio, born digital materials and digitized items, application interfaces, etc.) on behalf of all departments, including materials of a complex nature within the City’s content management system (CMS) to ensure they: provide a cohesive, task-oriented user experience across the site; align to departmental and corporate business objectives; protect and enhance the City’s reputation; and, adhere to established quality publishing standards.
The Digital Strategist – Intranet researches, creates, and publishes information for the City’s internal digital platform, SharePoint. This position ensures published digital content is timely and accurate, informative and relevant, engaging, usable and consistent with the City standards and objectives. They coordinate, review, edit and publish intranet material provided by other City staff, in addition to providing publishing training and support. The position requires oversight of all Intranet pages, ensuring consistency across subject areas, relevant departments or processes, and provides guidance to the publishing community to ensure their content meets these requirements.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
The position reports to the team that manages the City’s corporate intranet. This role works with colleagues across City departments supporting their intranet publishing requirements.
- Creates and documents site assets, including intranet page metadata tags (title, key words, and descriptions), maintaining accessibility standards, content matrixes, etc. to ensure continuity in the overall maintenance of site assets.
- Provides web and content strategy and best practices counsel to internal contacts and participates in consultations with key stakeholders.
- Creates content that requires strong writing skills, including writing in plain language
- Communicates content provided by City business units from multiple angles: visually, text-wise and page-wise within the intranet site.
- Manages the development and documentation of standard operating procedures to support the day-to-day needs of the site, working with site resources to ensure adherence to procedures, design and content standards (DSG and CSG), as well as accessibility standards, providing regular reviews and modifications where necessary.
- Contributes to ongoing assessment of processes and procedures and identify areas of concern and continual improvement.
- Identifies opportunities for improvements to User Experience and ensure User Centric approach drives solutions to site interactivity.
- Improves overall website performance (in terms of click through and conversion rates) by leveraging insights gathered from data, both qualitative and quantitative.
- Creates and maintains the standards and taxonomies for the Intranet, recommending changes and improvements and integrates information on the site from across all communication channels.
- Identifies and implements audience-specific digital solutions across a variety of online platforms.
- Supports and upholds internal Design Style Guide, Writing Guide, User Experience Charter, and Accessibility standards when producing content and materials for the site.
- Designs innovative, mobile-friendly and responsive digital products and services.
- Designs tools such as wireframes, prototypes, concept maps, mock-ups, user flows and storyboards to support stakeholder buy-in and provide clarity on the user journey.
- Investigates, analyzes and specifies digital product and service requirements to meet the business needs of clients.
- Researches and explores ideas by brainstorming, collecting and analyzing statistics and sketching options.
- Develops wireframe/storyboard process to communicate user experience visions to stakeholders.
- Advises stakeholders of the value of User Experience (UX) design principles.
- Presents and pitches content strategy, information architecture, user journey ideas to stakeholders.
- Establishes and maintains liaison with business units and other applicable internal contacts.
- Provides advice and assistance to users and staff regarding enhancements and functionality of various projects while promoting User-Centric thinking and approach to projects.
- Plans, organizes and participates in consultations with key stakeholders from multiple operational units, delivering strategic recommendations with confidence.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Completion of a diploma or Bachelor’s degree in in web technology or communication plus sound related experience in a web design/development/writing/publishing environment including communications, journalism or technical writing education/experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of relevant best practices, including user experience and search engine optimization; considerable knowledge of accessibility issues and guidelines
- Considerable knowledge of UX wireframing/prototyping tools (i.e. Figma, Balsamiq)
- Considerable knowledge of interaction design methods, user experience process, usability best practices and web accessibility standards
- Sound knowledge of front-end design patterns and UI best practices as well as an ability to influence others in the adoption of best practices
- Demonstrated experience with digital content management systems; SharePoint preferred
- Awareness and experience with common Project Management processes
- Strong writing skills
- Strong problem-solving approach and ability to understand content in the context of various business models; ability to synthesize complex or technical information to produce clear, concise and compelling content
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite
- Proven Ability to manage project timelines, manage resources and communicate with project stakeholders
- Constantly drive innovation by staying current with technology, trends and new ideas for digital content production and process improvements
- Proven Ability to recognize opportunities to improve business processes related to customer experience
- Proven Ability to remain up-to-date on digital products and service opportunities, UX best practices and UX solution options
- Demonstrated Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with internal parties
- Demonstrated Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Demonstrated Ability to communicate UX requirements with both internal and external development teams
- Demonstrated Ability to source and use industry best practices in UX, content strategy and interface design
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative suite, SurveyGizmo (or other survey creation software) and knowledge of HTML and CSS is considered an advantage
Business Unit/Department: Civic Engagement and Communications
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: January 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade 24: $36.45 to $43.04 per hour
Posting close date: December 20, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
View Original Source Source