Water and Wastewater Operator I – Training Opportunity #244
Closing Date: January 24, 2021
An exciting and challenging Permanent, Full-Time opportunity exists for a Water and Wastewater Operator I with the City of Kamloops in the form of a Training Opportunity. This amazing Training Opportunity position will allow the successful candidate to gain on the job experience and certifications to become fully qualified in the future. The successful candidate for this position will operate, monitor, and maintain the sanitary sewer collection system, the water distribution system, and the stormwater collection system.
Typical duties of this position include:
- Records and performs sampling and analysis within the current standard methods for the examination of wastewater, domestic water, and groundwater.
- Obtains operational and analytical data to ensure that all governmental and operational guidelines and regulations are consistently adhered to and reports any inconsistencies to the Utility Services Supervisor, Chief Operator and Assistant Chief Operator
- Obtains and records operational data and laboratory results and reports findings to the Utility Services Supervisor Chief Operator and Assistant Chief Operator.
- Maintains accurate records and reports for the Utility Services Division and other government agencies.
The successful candidate must have the following qualifications:
- Completion of senior secondary school or its equivalent.
- Valid BC Driver’s Licence – Class 5.
- Valid BC EOCP Level I Certifications in the following:
- Wastewater Collection; AND
- Water Distribution.
- Valid BC EOCP Level II Certification in the following:
- Wastewater Collection; OR
- Water Distribution
- Must obtain EOCP Level II Certification in Wastewater Collection or Water Distribution for which they have not obtained within 3 years of starting the position.
Note: The above certifications include a combination of education and experience as determined by the Environmental Operations Certification Program (EOCP). Typically, three years’ experience is required for each Level II certification.
For new hires, and for those working in designated positions of trust, including those working directly with vulnerable persons, no formal offer of employment will be made until an applicant completes a police information check.
A comprehensive benefits package is included with this position
Awarding of Training Opportunity
To be successful for this training opportunity, senior applicants must meet the above qualifications. Applicants are able to participate in a maximum of three training opportunities within the Department.
On-the-Job Experience and Training
The most senior qualified candidate for this opportunity will be gaining experience towards becoming a fully qualified Water and Wastewater Operator I. The exact length of the training opportunity may vary based on the previous experience of the successful candidate and the length of the position, but will be a maximum of three years.
Time Commitment to the Position
The successful candidate will be required to remain in the Water and Wastewater Operator I position for a minimum of 1 year after the successful completion of the training period deemed by obtaining an additional Level II.
The successful applicant for this training opportunity will receive the pay rate of Pay Grade 10 (outside),
$31.05 per hour to start. Upon successful completion of an additional EOCP Level II, and being deemed fully qualified, the incumbent will move to Pay Grade 11 (outside), as a fully qualified Water and Wastewater Operator I.
For further information on the Water and Wastewater Operator I fully qualified position please see the attached job description. For further information on the terms and conditions of the training opportunity, please see the attached documents.
CUPE Outside 10
Hours & Days of Work
Monday – Friday:
8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (Winter)
7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. (Summer)
Hours per Week
City of Kamloops -> Civic Operations -> Utility Services
Utility Services Supervisor – Operations
January 24, 2021
External job postings are open to everyone. We accept applications online only; be sure to carefully read the application instructions for each job you apply to.
We are an equal opportunity employer and thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note that persons with disabilities who require assistance with the application process may contact the Human Resources Department at (250) 828-3439.
View Original Source Source