“Where the Rainforest Meets the Sea”
Wastewater Operator III
Located on the south-western tip of Vancouver Island, BC, Sooke has a sheltered harbor, and is a scenic forty-five (45) minutes’ drive from BC’s capital city, Victoria. As a part of a temperate rainforest, the Sooke district has one of the mildest climates in Canada. Characterized by warm, dry summers and mild winters, Sooke’s pleasant climate is a year-round paradise for those who enjoy outdoor activities, such as hiking, biking, kayaking, or sailing.
The District of Sooke has a permanent employment opportunity for a Wastewater Operator III. Reporting to the Wastewater Lead Operator, the Wastewater Operator III will ensure optimal results by undertaking the work of operations and by performing standard Wastewater Collection and Wastewater Treatment System maintenance and repairs. The Wastewater Operator III is a team-oriented and self-motivated individual. The Wastewater Operator III should possess strong results orientation with commitment to quality service and excellence and ensure the safe and efficient operations of the plant. The Wastewater Operator III should possess willingness to maintain and upgrade certification in the disciplines of Wastewater Treatment and Wastewater Collection.
This position also requires highly developed analytical and decision making skills. Maintains a high level of safety awareness and demonstrate safe work practices at all times.
To be considered for this role, applicants should have:
- A completion of Grade 12 or recognized equivalent, supplemented by a post-secondary education in Water and Wastewater Technology.
- Minimum five (5) years of directly related experience in the wastewater field.
- Minimum of Level II certification in Wastewater Collection and Level III certification in Wastewater Treatment.
- Knowledge of treatment process, laboratory procedures and equipment.
- Knowledge of electrical, instrumentation and SCADA systems.
- Knowledge of safe work procedures, WHMIS, confined space entry, first aid and TDG.
- The ability to be on standby, carry a pager and respond within 30 minutes to after hours calls.
- The ability to meet the physical demands of the position.
- A valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License (with six (6) demerits or less). A Driver Abstract will be required.
This position requires participation in the wastewater operational standby rotation and as such it is a requirement to reside within the District of Sooke boundaries or within thirty (30) minutes of the Wastewater Treatment Plant (located at 7113 Westcoast Road, Sooke) and be able to appropriately respond to afterhours emergencies in a timely manner (less than 30 minutes).
This is a CUPE Local 374 position. The salary for the Wastewater Operator III is $38.87/hour, plus an excellent benefit package.
To view the full job description, please visit the employment page of our website at: www.sooke.ca/employment.
Please indicate 2020-017 Wastewater Operator III in the subject of your email, and submit your detailed resume and cover letter, combined in one (1) pdf, outlining your interest and experience for this opportunity to: email@example.com.
Review of applications began at 4:30 pm on Thursday, August 6, 2020; however, this posting will remain open until position is filled.
The District of Sooke thanks all applicants for their interest and advises that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
View Original Source Source