Utility Systems Operator (USO) Trainee Water
Position Status: Full-Time Temporary (This position to last not later than July 30, 2021)
Department: Water Services
Employee Group: GVRDEU
Location: Lake City Operations Centre, Burnaby
Salary Range/ Wage Rate: $ 2,256.00 bi-weekly plus 6.25% deferred compensation
Our Water Services Department is seeking a USO Trainee (Water) to join our team who are eager to learn, safety-minded and enjoy working in a team. We are looking for individuals who will bring positive energy to our work group and who will help our team meet our goals for the department.
You are: A team player who is eager to learn, who brings a positive attitude while working in a team. We are looking for individuals who have completed Grade 12 education, have mechanical aptitude with various tools and equipment, along with experience in construction or trades.
The USO Trainee role is part of the team involved in the field-based operations of the region’s drinking water supply system. The water supply system consists of over 520 km of large diameter water mains, 19 water pump stations, 26 water storage reservoirs, and 5 dams. In this role, you will have the opportunity to gain experience towards your EOCP Water Distribution certification; we also offer comprehensive safety and technical training.
This role: (The duties described hereunder are intended to be representative of the position and are not to be considered as all inclusive)
- Works in the operation, inspecting and maintaining of water supply system facilities.
- Assists in inspection and maintenance of equipment.
- Assists in performing system facility inspections and cleaning.
- Performs general repairs, housekeeping, painting, etc.
- Performs maintenance tasks including gravel, debris and windfall removal, lake debris management, brush cutting, bank repairs, etc.
- Operates power tools, mowers, chain saws, jackhammers, and vehicles to fulfill the needs of the position.
- Performs construction duties such as sewer/storm line leak repairs, raising and rebuilding of manholes, water line connections and road building.
- Ensures all work carried out adheres to and is in compliance with all WorkSafe BC and MV safety policies/procedures. Advises superiors of situations requiring review.
To be successful, you have:
- Grade 12 education or equivalent (Preference will be given if supplemented with courses in civil and mechanical technology, computers, electrical, instrumentation etc.)
- Preference will be given to those with utility and/or construction experience
- Possess mechanical proficiency and construction aptitude.
- Ability to operate power and pneumatic tools.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to demonstrate safety awareness.
- Physically capable of performing the duties of the position and willingness and ability to work shift work as required.
- Willingness to undertake additional training relating to the duties of the position.
- Valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by February 5, 2021.
View Original Source Source