Requisition ID: 30226
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Tree Pruner I is responsible for assisting in all aspects of tree care operations including: tree planting, pruning and removal. This position involves climbing trees, using ladders, and as required, ropes and safety harness, and pruning boulevard and park trees using power saws and other hand tools. This is hazardous work that is performed under the direction of a supervisor who checks the work during progress for attainment of desired objectives and adherence to required safety procedures.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Tree Pruner I is required to climb park and boulevard trees using safe tree climbing techniques, ladders, ropes, safety harness and prunes park and boulevard trees using power saws and other hand tools. This position assists in tree planting and removal operations and performs heavy manual tasks related to the work. The Tree Pruner I will operate a chipping machine as required. This position performs minor servicing and maintenance tasks on equipment operated. The Tree Pruner I will also assist in setting out safety cones, warning signs and traffic control barriers under the direction of a superior.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 10
- Current and Valid BC Drivers License is required
- Certified Utility Arborist or apprentice designation is desired
- Arborist Technician or apprentice designation is desired
- ISA Certification and ISA Tree Risk Assessment Qualification (TRAQ) is preferred
- Level I First Aid Certificate is desired
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, practices, tools, equipment and safety precautions involved in pruning, removals, and planting boulevard and park trees.
- Ability to perform hazardous climbing and pruning tasks at considerable heights above ground.
- Ability to perform manual tasks under varying weather conditions.
- Skill in the use of a variety of power and hand tools used in tree pruning and planting work.
- Skill in the use of safety harness and ropes used in climbing trees.
- Skill in the operation of a chipping machine.
- Skill in the operation and servicing of equipment used in the work and in the use of tools used in minor servicing and repair tasks.
- A current and valid class 5 BC Driver’s License and a satisfactory driving record
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2021
Position End Date: December, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-325: $31.22 per hour
Application Close: June 13, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source