Watt Consulting Group
Transportation (Traffic) Engineer
Thursday, February 19, 2021
Open until filled
Looking to expand your horizons and want to work on multi-modal and sustainable transportation projects? WATT Consulting Group’s Victoria office seeks a mid-career transportation engineer to join us at our very busy practice serving communities and clients across Vancouver Island, coastal BC and elsewhere in Canada.
We are looking for dynamic individuals that are committed to high-quality professional work, meeting the needs of our clients, and working with our multi-disciplinary team to create vibrant and livable communities.
About the Role
As a Transportation Engineer at WATT, you will be involved in a wide range of mobility projects from multi-modal planning and design to traffic operations and impact studies. The primary responsibility will be to manage transportation engineering projects from start to finish with the support of junior/technical staff. The role will also involve providing transportation engineering expertise to other members of our integrated team in both advisory and support roles. The following specific duties and responsibilities are expected:
- Manage a range of transportation engineering projects, ensuring schedule and budget adherence, balanced project team resources, on-going client communication, invoicing, and adherence to our corporate quality control processes.
- Apply technical transportation engineering expertise in the areas of network and intersection analysis, transportation / traffic impact assessments, active transportation planning and facility design, and multi-modal road safety to provide clients with options and opportunities to create vibrant and livable communities through management of transportation.
- Oversee the conceptual and functional design of transportation corridors, transit exchanges, bike/pedestrian facilities, traffic calming, intersection treatments, and other multi-modal transportation infrastructure.
- Work with and support other WATT team members by assisting other project managers, peer-reviewing technical work, and mentoring / advising junior staff.
- Organize and attend client, community and Council meetings and other public engagement activities, and present / communicate technical information in an coherent manner.
- Prepare written documentation of project work in a clear and concise manner.
- Prepare written materials including technical letters, memos, and reports.
- Pursue business development opportunities with past, current and prospective clients.
- Lead or support the preparation of proposals for public and private sector clients.
- Maintain technical competency in transportation engineering and project delivery, including active participation in professional organizations and on-going professional development.
- Explore and develop technical competency in transportation engineering and project delivery, including active participation in professional organizations and on-going professional development.
- Plan and manage data collection programs.
- Be prepared to lead by example by working alongside others on our team to continuously improve our transportation practice and the value we deliver to our clients and communities.
- Travel within Vancouver Island as required, as well as opportunity for travel to support other projects within Western Canada.
Candidates should possess the following qualifications and skills:
- A registered member or the ability to become a member of the Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC).
- At least five (5+) or more years of transportation engineering experience, preferably focused in any/all of the following areas: traffic impact assessments, traffic management plans for construction zones, transportation master plans, signal timing, safety audits, traffic modeling and active transportation accommodation.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, as well as strong analytical and organization skills.
- Direct experience managing projects with clients.
- Experience using capacity analysis / microsimulation software such as Synchro / SimTraffic, and SIDRA required. Experience with VISSIM, and VISUM is considered an asset.
- PTOE or RSP certification is considered an asset.
- Working knowledge of key technical manuals such as TAC, ITE, NACTO, and Provincial Manuals.
- Experience in the following supporting areas is an asset: parking management, transportation demand management (TDM), transit planning and operations, and civil design.
- A valid BC Drivers’ License.
Since 1983, WATT Consulting Group has been a multi-disciplinary civil engineering, transportation planning and land survey practice, operating out of offices in Victoria, Vancouver, Okanagan, Calgary, Edmonton, and Lloydminster. We provide transportation planning, engineering and geomatics services to a wide variety of public and private sector clients throughout Western Canada. Our mission is to exceed expectations in the delivery of quality, innovation and customized solutions for each unique project, community, and client. You will be joining a team that is passionate about what they do and who hold themselves to a high standard of excellence. We take our work to “HEART” – these are the values we hold high and strive to live by every day: Honesty, Excellence, Accountability, Respect and Teamwork. #WEAREWATT
Our individual offices have smaller dymanic teams that operate together as ‘One Studio,’ with more than 20 transportation engineers, planners, and technologists collaborating to develop innovative approaches to mobility and community livablility. Our larger team works together on multimodal projects across Western Canada, meaning that joining our transportation practice provides the opportunity for exposure to many transprotation planning/engineering areas, communities and contexts. There are opportunities for you to support our key services areas while having the freedom to explore and cultivate project work you are passionate about.
WATT provides employer paid benefit plan, Group Deferred Profit Sharing, Health Savings / Tax Savings Account, and competitive salaries. We appreciate the ability to balance work and life ourselves and are open to similar flexible arrangements for the right candidate.
If you are looking for an exciting opportunity and to grow your career in a dynamic organization and share our interest in creating vibrant and livable communities, submit your resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. WATT Consulting Group is an equal opportunity employer.
View Original Source Source