Requisition ID: 29574
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Reporting to the Manager of Transportation Design, and having a co-leadership role of the Transportation Design engagement team with a second Engagement Lead, this role is responsible for leading complex consultation processes involving competing interests and often politically sensitive issues, maintain key stakeholder relationships, and provide strategic consultation support on major transportation projects. This position will initiate and leverage collaborative working relationships with other city departments, external government agencies, consultants, external stakeholder groups and the public to engage, consult, and inform people about transportation projects.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Works with a team of engineering and planning staff on major Transportation led projects
- Represents the Transportation Design branch at other corporate and public events to answer questions and provide input around transportation policies, practices, and promotion
- Prepares timely responses to media and other inquiries with tact and sensitivity
- Leads high profile and sometimes contentious consultation projects
- Supervises the work of junior staff as they develop consultation processes and conduct research, analysis and presentation of data for public materials
- Attends weekend and evening meetings and workshops to support consultation efforts and handle difficult issues should they arise
- Liaises with key stakeholders including other levels of government, special interest groups, citizen organizations, business interests, and other departments to provide ongoing updates
- Develops and implements strategic consultation methods that are tailored to the impacts of specific transportation projects
- Generates and/or reviews content for public notifications, engagement materials, project website, and social media platforms; coordinates project communication channels internally and externally.
- Supports annual public reports on key transportation metrics
- Assists in the development and analysis of public surveys
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Degree in Urban Planning, Planning, Communications, Engineering, Landscape Architecture or Public Relations with consultation experience supplemented by project management or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 5 years recent experience with a significant focus on consultation/issues management and stakeholder relations
- Considerable experience providing advice to senior managers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of City policies such as transportation, environment, health
- Considerable knowledge of and demonstrated skills in developing and implementing consultation strategies
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Adobe Suite and PowerPoint
- Sound judgement, discretion and diplomacy
- Proven ability to promote a team environment
- Ability to work under tight timelines and multitask effectively
- Ability to establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent communication and consultative skills
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2021
Position End Date: June, 2023
Number of Positions: 2
Application Close: May 21, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source