Requisition ID: 25293
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Traffic Painter I is responsible for semi-skilled traffic maintenance work which includes painting crosswalks, safety zones, and other road markings, as well as installing and replacing traffic signs, posts and barricades.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The Traffic Painter I is responsible for using various types of equipment in sign maintenance and road marking, as well as answering and dealing with a variety of public inquiries while working at various City locations and jobs sites. Other duties include ordering replacement signs and road marking materials; completing daily paper work requirements; and performing related duties as required.
The hours of work are: 7:00am to 3:30pm or 11:00pm to 7:30am, Monday to Friday. The position will be required to work a 40 hour work schedule. Shift differential may apply.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 10.
- Recent related experience with traffic sign installation and road marking is preferred.
- Traffic control experience is an asset.
- Previous education and training in WHMIS is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of safe work procedures, practices, methods, tools and materials.
- Ability to recognize the hazards involved in working amidst traffic and take necessary precautionary measures.
- Ability to work safely in close proximity of moving machinery and in high traffic areas.
- Ability to safely operate a light service truck to transport workers and materials.
- Working knowledge of Vancouver’s Street and Traffic By-Laws and the Vancouver street system is an asset.
- Ability to read and interpret drawings which indicate the details of road marking lay-outs or, installation of signs and mountings is an asset.
- Ability to safely, accurately and efficiently repair and install signage and road markings as per instructions.
- Ability to use a variety of tools and equipment related to the work.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and the ability to deal tactfully and effectively with staff and the public are essential.
- Ability to accurately complete assigned paperwork.
- Sufficient physical strength, stamina and coordination to perform manual outdoor work in all types of weather; to work on ladders; to work on potential uneven surfaces; and to walk or stand continuously with frequent bending or twisting.
- Ability to work on ladders and on potentially uneven surfaces.
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or higher and a Satisfactory National Safety Code driving record
- 5 years accumulation of no more than 9 points, not in excess of 3 points per single year
- 3 years accumulation of no more than 1 preventable work related driving or equipment operating accident in any single year
- Employees who do not demonstrate a satisfactory driving record will have their application reviewed in more detail
- Candidates must attach the following to be considered:
- Commercial Driving Records Abstract (N Print) for the past 5 years (no more than 14 days prior to this posting).
- Insurance & Claims History for the past 3 years
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: March, 2021
Position End Date: November, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-015: $25.31 to $29.74 per hour
Number of Positions: 18
Application Close: February 14, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply through our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source