Requisition ID: 28758
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Traffic Assistants are responsible for conducting pedestrian, bicycle, and vehicle counts; observing traffic trends in the field; and accurately preparing and maintaining records on traffic volume and patterns. This position will work varying shifts typically on weekdays with the possibility of some weekend and split shift work. This position will also be required to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Duties of the Traffic Assistants include:
- Conducting field investigations; making observations, data entry and basic data analysis;
- Conducting traffic counts by operating a manual traffic counters
- Observing traffic in the field and recording pertinent volume or pattern data.
- Performing a variety of related traffic field studies, noting pertinent information and calculating data as required.
- Compiling a variety of data and records pertaining to traffic control systems.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Experience with Vandocs is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Basic computer skills and the ability to learn software related to traffic counting applications are required.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain simple records related to the work.
- Ability to make elementary arithmetic calculations and prepare simple sketches.
- Ability to work independently and with others to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work outside in inclement weather.
Driver License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License and a safe driving record are required.
- The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
- Local area travel and transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements.
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: May, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-012: $22.48 to $26.36 per hour
Application Close: April 18, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source