Position Status: Full-Time Temporary (This position to last not later than December 31, 2020)
Department: Water Services
Employee Group: GVRDEU
Location: Lake City Operations Centre
Salary Range/ Wage Rate: $3,114.40 bi-weekly plus 6.25% deferred compensation
Our Water Services Department is seeking a Tradesman II-Carpenter-TQ who will be an active and engaged member of our in-house Construction Group. You will be a dynamic problem-solver who can navigate unique challenges and provide solutions within a collaborative environment.
You are: Self-motivated and have sound working knowledge of carpentry practices combined with professionalism, leadership and ability to maintain a safe, respectful team environment for co-workers, supporting staff and supervisors.
This role: (The duties described hereunder are to be representative of the position and are not to be considered as all-inclusive.)
- Performs skilled duties as they relate to general carpentry on MV construction projects at MV facilities and/or infrastructure locations.
- Plans and constructs and/or repairs concrete formwork as well as wood frame, concrete or steel structures.
- Plans and performs finish carpentry including the construction of office furniture and cabinetry.
- Trains, directs, assigns, oversees and reviews the work and activities of subordinates including carpenters, helpers and apprentices.
- Assists with the development of safe work procedures related to MV construction projects.
- Develops or assists with the development of construction cost estimates and project schedules.
- Works in compliance with Corporate, Departmental and WorkSafe BC standards and regulations.
- Operates and maintains both manual and power tools utilized by MV carpentry staff.
- Maintains personal protection equipment in accordance with manufacturers instructions and according to Corporate, Departmental and Worksafe B.C. standards and regulations.
- Performs manual labour duties including but not limited to, shoveling dirt and granular materials, concrete finishing, carrying and placing reinforcing steel, housekeeping and clean up of work sites and carpentry shop.
- May be required to work within confined spaces in both water and waste water facilities and systems.
- May act in the capacity of the immediate supervisor as required.
To be successful, you have:
- Secondary school graduation or equivalent training and experience. Preference may be given to those who bring municipal experience.
- Supplementary training in Carpentry consistent with the Carpentry Industry Training Model as described in the Industry Training Authorities (ITA) Carpentry Program Outline or equivalent.
- Certificate of Qualification with Interprovincial Red Seal Endorsement or equivalent with ITA.
- Considerable knowledge of the British Columbia Building Code and understanding of the requirement of the code as they relate to municipal, residential and industrial construction.
- Thorough knowledge and skill in the methods, techniques, materials, tools and equipment used in general construction and maintenance work.
- Proficiency in the use of hand tools and power tools for both shop and field carpentry work.
- Ability to plan and construct a variety of wooden, steel and concrete structures.
- Ability to interpret and work from blueprints, drawings and sketches.
- Ability to effectively train, direct, assign, oversee and review the work of others.
- Demonstrated initiative and proven ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to apply good judgment in deciding on best work methods to be used.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing with both internal and external contacts.
- Ability to use computer applications related to the position and duties, for example MS Office Suite of products and Project.
- Considerable knowledge of MV’s Corporate and Divisional safety policies and procedures and WorkSafe BC regulations and guidelines.
- Provide and maintain a reliable set of hand tools available for use on the worksite.
- Physically capable of performing the duties of the position.
- Ability to work in an outdoor environment for extended periods.
- Ability to work effectively within a team environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Valid Class 5 B.C. driver’s license.
Metro Vancouver embraces collaboration and innovation in providing sustainable regional services that contribute to a livable and resilient region and a healthy natural environment for current and future generations.
Please follow this link http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/careers/ to our Careers page where you can submit your application by October 18, 2020.
Please be advised that the careers page will be unavailable from Thursday, October 1st until Monday, October 5th, due to a system outage. Please note, job posting dates have been extended to ensure job opportunities are posted for 14 days.
View Original Source Source