Requisition ID: 31098
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
This position involves skilled plumbing work at a journeyman level which includes maintenance, repair, alteration and installation of plumbing equipment and systems in major recreational facilities, buildings, structures, marinas,concessions, golf course facilities and sewage lift stations.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The successful candidate must be able to effectively take direction and work with minimal supervision on a variety of equipment and systems including, but not limited to domestic water, sanitary, gas, fire protection, heating, brineand water cooled condensers, water parks, decorative and drinking fountains, indoor and outdoor pool circulation and interior and site drainage services. The incumbent must be able to use innovative techniques, best practices and materials to improve quality and workmanship, reduce costs, improve productivity and recommend ways to aggressively conserve water, minimize life cycle costs and provide estimates of work. This position performs other related work as required.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade Twelve preferably supplemented by technical courses related to the work.
- Completion and certification of a recognized apprenticeship in the plumbing trade, and a red seal trade qualification certificate
- Minimum of 5 years journeyman experience is preferred.
- A current Class A or B Gas Fitter Certificate issued by the Province of British Columbia is required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- In addition to the knowledge, skills and abilities implied above, the incumbent will possess considerable knowledge of the standard methods, best practices, regulatory requirements (WCB, WHIMS, BC Plumbing Code as amended by the City of Vancouver), drawings, specifications, materials, tools and equipment usedin the maintenance, installation and construction of plumbing components and systems and soundknowledge of the hazards and safety precautions applicable to the work.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent communication skills and ability to follow written andverbal directions.
- An AWWA cross connection control tester certificate is required and an ASST fire protection certificate or the willingness to obtain such certification would be considered an asset.
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
- A valid B.C. driver’s license is required. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability tolegally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements of the department.
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: July 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-375: $41.13 per hour
Application Close: July 4, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source