Requisition ID: 31793
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Trades II Gardener will perform skilled horticultural work at the journeyman level in high profile park settings. Under general supervision, this position will be responsible for the care and development of an assigned area(s) and will supervise one or more staff.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
The Trades II Gardener coordinates and performs a variety of skilled horticulture work in propagating, planting, spraying, pruning, cultivating, fertilizing, and renovating floral displays, shrub beds, and lawns in a variety of horticultural and landscape settings. Plants, prunes, and cares for trees; cares for formal lawns, sports fields, and recreational lawn areas; answers a variety of horticultural and recreational questions from the public; supervises and participates in the work of one or more assistants engaged in parks horticultural and maintenance tasks; prepares estimations; orders materials, tools as well as equipment while coordinating with suppliers and other City departments; provides comments on detailed Landscape Drawings; maintains routine records related to the work and performs related work as required.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12, completion of a recognized apprenticeship in Horticulture, considerable experience in gardening, and some experience in laying out areas for track and field sports.
- Completion of a Landscape Horticulturist Red Seal is preferred
- A valid Pesticide Applicator License, as required for some positions.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, practices, materials, tools and equipment used in horticultural work.
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and practices used in maintaining turf sports areas.
- Considerable knowledge of plant material and tree care.
- Sound knowledge of departmental functions and operations as applied to the work performed.
- Ability to cope with a wide variety of problems involved in the maintenance and supervision of ornamental park and sports areas.
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks throughout the year.
- Skill in laying out horticultural displays such as carpet bedding, subtropical displays, and other designed horticultural features.
- Ability to read, understand, and work from Landscape Drawings.
- Ability to direct, supervise and participate in the activities of one or more assistants.
- Skill in the use and care of gardening tools and equipment.
- Knowledge and ability to manage the Integrated Pest Management program as applied to the landscape area under their care.
- Possesses basic mathematical and computer skills.
A current and valid BC Driver’s License is a requirement of this position. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities. Transportation arrangements must meet operational requirements of the Department.
Preference will be given to those who have successfully completed the Vancouver Park Board’s Apprenticeship Program.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: July, 2021
Position End Date: December, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-375: $41.13 per hour
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source