Trades II – Electrician
Requisition ID: 25941
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
This position involves skilled electrical work at a journeyman level involving maintenance, repair, alteration and installation of electrical equipment and systems in major facilities, buildings, structures, marinas, concessions, golf course facilities, sewage lift stations, O/H and U/G electrical distribution etc.
The regular work schedule for this position is 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM, Monday to Friday. This position will be based out of Evans Works Yard. The successful candidate may be required to adjust shifts and change locations as operationally required.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs electrical maintenance, installation and construction of a wide variety of equipment including, but not limited to, fire alarms, intrusions alarms, electronic programmers, AC variable frequency speed control units, high and low voltage distribution systems, HVAC equipment, PLCs, controllers, Energy Management Systems, and refrigeration
- Must be able to effectively take direction and work with minimal supervision on a variety of systems.
- Work is performed using innovative techniques, best practices and materials to improve quality, reduce cost and improve productivity; tenaciously recommends ways to conserve energy and minimize life cycle costs
- Ensures a high degree of accuracy in performing tasks according to instructions, and receive written and verbal assignments; which may be accompanied by sketches or blueprints
- Provides estimates of work and performs related work as required.
- Maintains accurate records of maintenance and ongoing tasks.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by technical courses related to the work
- Recognized apprenticeship in the electrical trade and must have Trades Qualifications recognized in British Columbia, with preference for an Interprovincial Seal.
- Considerable journeyperson electrician experience familiarity with various methodologies, innovativeness, best practices and regulatory requirements such as WorkSafe, and WHMI
- Field Safety Representative Class A or B Certificate of Qualification preferred
- ASTT Certification for Inspecting and Testing Fire Alarm and Emergency Lighting Systems preferred
- Completed Arc Flash & Electrical Lockout training course is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the standard methods, best practices, materials, tools and equipment used in the installation and maintenance of specialized electrical control systems and equipment.
- Considerable knowledge of the hazards and necessary safety precautions involved in such electrical work.
- Considerable knowledge of the applicable regulations, policies and bylaws governing the electrical work performed.
- Considerable working knowledge of the electrical systems, fixtures and functional integration of various components of the complete mechanical systems related to the installation and maintenance work.
- Ability to perform a variety of skilled electrical tasks with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and coordinate a mobile workforce at multiple locations at the same time.
- Ability to plan, check and supervise the work of one or more skilled or semi-skilled subordinates as required.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions, trace as-built wiring and circuitry and sketch into schematic diagram and work from blue-prints, drawings, diagrams and layouts.
- Ability to make responsible decisions under pressure and in response to emergency situations.
- Ability to troubleshoot and diagnose malfunctions in systems, equipment, motors and controls.
- Ability to deal effectively and courteously with the public and maintain effective working relationships with contractors, suppliers and other employees.
- Ability to update and maintain records and electrical drawings, estimate materials required and requisition parts and materials.
- Skill in the use and care of tools, materials and equipment essential to the electrical work performed.
Driver License and Record Checks
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License and a Satisfactory driving record
- A Police Record Check may be a requirement of this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-375: $39.53 per hour
Position Start Date: March 2021
Application Close: February 21, 2021
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source