Trades II – Carpenter
Requisition ID: 20555
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Trades II Carpenter is responsible for performing skilled carpentry and joinery work at the journeyman level. This position requires experience and knowledge in the use of tools and machinery related to the performance of advanced carpentry, maintenance, repair & alterations at civic buildings, recreational facilities, structures, marinas & parks.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
The Trades II Carpenter must be able to effectively direct subordinates and work with minimal supervision on a variety of tasks including but not limited to:
- Joinery tasks both in the carpentry shop and at all civic facilities.
- Carpentry and joinery work in construction, alteration, repair and maintenance of buildings, floors, roofs, stairways, doors, windows, furniture, counters, vanities, wall paneling, plastic laminates, glass board, rink plastic, moldings, all architectural hardware, concrete forms, gates, fences, ladders, piers, wharves, floats, boats and maintenance of signs.
- This position performs duties using innovative techniques, best practices and materials to improve quality, reduce costs and improve productivity; have the ability to read and work from blueprints and sketches; provides estimates of work and performs related work as required.
- Performs related duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of a recognized apprenticeship in the Carpentry or Joinery Trade, and must have Trades Qualifications recognized in British Columbia, with preference for an Interprovincial Seal.
- Completion of Grade 12 high school or equivalent GED program.
- Considerable journeyman experience (5 years desirable).
- Locksmith certification an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of various methodologies, innovativeness, best practices, regulatory requirements – WCB, WHMIS, Building By-laws of the City of Vancouver, drawings and specifications, tools, materials, equipment, etc., used in maintenance, installation and construction.
- Considerable knowledge of hazards and safety precautions of the trade and familiarity with regulatory requirements (WCB, WHMIS, etc.) and current Building By-Laws and Fire By-Laws for the City of Vancouver relating to the Carpentry or joinery trade.
- Demonstrated ability to read and work from blue prints and shop drawings.
- Demonstrated ability to perform skilled cabinet making tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to read and work from specifications.
- Demonstrated ability to assign and supervise subordinates.
- Demonstrated ability to follow written as well as verbal instructions.
- Good oral and writing skills and ability to follow written as well as verbal instructions.
- Proficiency and ability to use computer systems, mobile phones and applicable apps to perform job tasks and monitor job work orders.
- The following abilities are an asset for this position:
- Ability to work on all types of lock hardware including Best, Schlage, Corbin Ruswin, ASSA ABLOY, Yale, etc. brands.
- Ability to service, repair or replace all types of door closers: Surface mount, concealed, etc.
- Ability to repair or replace all types of man doors: Steel, wood, fiberglass, glass, etc.
- Ability to repair or replace door hardware: Butt hinges, ball bearing butt hinges, continuous hinges, door pivots, kick plates, door stops, panic hardware, door knobs, door levers, deadbolts, etc.
- Ability to mic keys for keys codes when working on locks and cutting/ providing keys.
- Ability to identify building fire exit doors and repair/ replace hardware as required.
- Ability to work on or replace low voltage electric strike hardware.
Driver License and Record Checks
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License and a Satisfactory driving record
- A Police Record Check is a requirement of this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-375: $39.53 per hour
Position Start Date: November 2020
Application Close: October 18, 2020
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source