Requisition ID: 31413
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
This is a skilled position responsible for designing and fabricating a variety of complex graphics and signage requirements using various computer software, printers, plotters, CNC router, laminator, power tools, hand tools and other production machinery.
- Receives oral and written direction from Superintendent, Subforeman, or from various City of Vancouver clients in the form of an electronic Work Order.
- Design, fabricate, and install: signs, murals, decals, stencils, window treatments, 3D lettering, plaques, construction hoarding, and vehicle wraps.
- Apply a variety of printed and non-printed materials to substrates common to the sign and graphics industry such as; Sintra, Coroplast, Plexiglas, aluminum panel, glass, wood, metal, concrete, tile and painted surfaces.
- Prepares cut files and safely operates a Computer Numerical Control (CNC) router.
- Assists and collaborates with co-workers and other departments on large scale sign and graphic installations as a team member and also work independently on less complex installations in Board of Parks and Recreation buildings and structures.
- Operates design and production software programs such as Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat Pro, HP Production Manager, HP Flexi Print & Cut, VCarve Pro, Omega Composer.
- Use of common graphics industry hand tools and techniques for the application of adhesive vinyl to a wide variety of smooth and textured surfaces.
- Maintain a clean and organized work area.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 10 preferably supplemented by technical courses related to the work; considerable experience in the sign and graphics industry; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- A current and valid British Columbia Class 5 Drivers Licence.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of the standard practices, methods, materials, tools and equipment applicable to the work in the sign and graphics trade.
- Good knowledge of the care and use of hand tools essential to the work.
- Good knowledge of sign and graphic installation practices, processes and procedures.
- Good knowledge of colour spaces and theory, colour profiles, pantones, marks, bleeds and fonts.
- Skill in applying adhesive vinyl by hand to various substrates.
- Ability to use variety of software required to do the job including trouble-shooting a variety of file types.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and to work with various design file formats, sketches, drawings and blueprints.
- Experience and ability in sign design and layout.
- Considerable knowledge of the occupational hazards and proper safety practices particular to the trade.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently for extended periods of time with limited supervision.
- Ability to operate and maintain an assortment of tools and equipment typical of the sign and graphics industry e.g. digital printers, CNC routers, plotters/cutters, laminators and mounters.
Business Unit/Department: Board of Parks & Recreation (1400)
Affiliation: CUPE 1004 Parks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: July, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-360: $36.08 per hour
Application Close: July 9, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source