Trades – Electrician
Requisition ID: 23854
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities. The City of Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation, and the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Main Purpose & Function
The Trades – Electrician will perform a variety of skilled shop and field duties at the journeyperson level entailing the installation, repair and maintenance of facilities, street lighting and traffic signal systems
The successful candidate will perform skilled electrical and related tasks in accordance with established trade practices and may supervise the work of subordinates performing less complex related tasks. Some phases of the duties may be more complex and difficult entailing the use of independent judgement in determining methods and procedures in solving unusual and complex problems related to re-lamping of street lighting fixtures; replacing street lighting poles and fixtures; installing, maintaining or upgrading traffic control signals; responding to traffic control signal malfunctions; responding to Motor Vehicle Accidents involving the City’s electrical plant. This will be a shift position including nights, evenings, weekends and weekdays with a paid shift differential. The successful candidate may be required to adjust shifts and change locations as operational required.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Performs electrical maintenance, installation and construction of a wide variety of equipment including industrial control systems, power distribution equipment, high voltage equipment and generators.
- Performs general commercial level electrical maintenance and installation in City buildings which may include telephone and data cabling, battery chargers, UPS’s, small equipment repairs, lighting and sound systems.
- Ensures a high degree of accuracy in performing tasks according to instructions, and receive written and verbal assignments; which may be accompanied by sketches or blueprints. Maintains accurate records of maintenance and ongoing tasks. Performs related duties as required.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by the successful completion of a recognized apprenticeship in the Electrical Trades.
- An Electrician’s Certificate of Qualification is required for this position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the standard practices, methods, tools, materials and equipment used supplemented by considerable experience in the electrical trade.
- Experience with traffic signal, street lighting, installation and maintenance, including experience in an industrial electrical or commercial work environment is an asset.
- Experience in working with sewer and water pump stations is considered an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the hazards and proper safety aspects of the trade, and the ability to work on aerial lift trucks is required.
- Ability to handle the physical aspects of the position and work in inclement weather when necessary is of operational importance. Ability to operate hand tools, vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to work alone with minimal supervision and in a team.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills; as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to read and interpret complex wiring diagrams, and familiarity and knowledge of SCADA systems is considered an asset.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks as required.
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License and a Satisfactory driving record is a requirement
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: December 2020
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-093: $43.72 to per hour
Number of Positions: 5
Application Close: December 10, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve e. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
View Original Source Source