Requisition ID: 29815
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Enterprise Infrastructure Specialist performs technical and business tasks required to operate, maintain, monitor, provision, expand, and extend the enterprise hybrid data centre consisting of on-premise, off-premise, and cloud infrastructure. The incumbent is responsible for providing expert-level technical knowledge to projects and system-business owners who are requisitioning storage, compute, and cloud services, configuring existing IT solutions to support complex enterprise systems across infrastructure, and creation of architecture design required to meet capacity, performance, security, high availability, business continuity, and disaster recovery needs. The person in this position requires a broad knowledge of the features and limitations of infrastructure to assess the business and technical impacts of proposed system changes, including technical leadership in feasibility, design, and implementation. A high level of independent judgment is required to strategize, plan, document, implement, troubleshoot, and remediate problems and issues in complex infrastructure environments where errors will have significant operational and financial impacts.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Tier 3 subject matter expert and product specialist on complex hybrid datacentre enterprise infrastructure and technology: primary focus areas within the enterprise portfolio are compute, data storage, networking protocols, data protection solutions, virtualization, server operating systems (e.g. Microsoft Windows, Linux, AIX) and cloud services (e.g. Azure and AWS); to ensure ongoing service level agreements to business units are attained and maintained
- Design, plan, install, configure, migrate, communicate, support, and deliver new, expansions, extensions, changes, and upgrade to current infrastructure technologies including applying system management and productivity tools to manage system performance
- Follow ITIL IT Service Management practices for configuration, incident, problem, major incident and change management
- Identify issues, provide notification, and resolve complex technical problems and challenges
- Analyze overall capacity planning and reliability by reviewing operational behaviour trends of overall infrastructure; determines needs for scalability or enhancement based on requirements
- Monitor usage, analyze performance, document metrics, and make recommendations to increase efficiency and improve operations to management
- Identify implementation options, tasks, risks, schedules, writes design documents, evaluates risks and benefits ROI of various options
- Discuss approach and recommendations with business application and system owners, and makes appropriate technology decisions for configuration
- Create and deliver presentations to project teams, business stakeholders, steering committees, and senior management
- Create architecture, testing, migration, and operating documentation
- Report license usage and asset maintenance coverage
- Develop, execute, and maintain complex technology lifecycle, business continuity, and disaster recovery plans
Research, Analysis, and Strategy
- Recommend and participate in the development of IT standards and policies
- Responsible for developing and evaluating technical specifications to support the procurement process;
- Act as a communication hub between internal groups, external resources (consultants and support), project managers, and business users
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Drivers License and Record Checks:
- Must hold a Valid BC Class 5 driver’s license
- Enhanced Security Clearance is a requirement for this position
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2021
Position End Date: November, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-031: $48.78 to $57.70 per hour
Application Close: May 21, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source