Requisition ID: 27293
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Reporting to the Senior Engineer, Sewers Design Branch, the Project Engineers will provide technical review services for a number of different sewer system renewal projects linked to redevelopment and growth planning in the city. The Project Engineers are responsible for the coordination of sewer system upgrade packages, the review of engineering consultants design submissions, and aides in the Engineering department’s management of growth related utility projects linking the City’s rezoning process and the Utility Development Cost Levy bylaw capital program. The Project Engineers will also provide technical review services to major projects such as the Broadway Subway Project.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical support for the rezoning and Utility Development Cost Levy bylaw capital program
- Develop, implement, and document external design review processes, procedures, and work instructions
- Develop, implement, and document consultant guidelines and submission requirements
- Review and comment on designs, specifications, and tender documents for storm and sanitary sewer design and construction projects for compliance with City sewer standards
- Review and comment on field reviews and other project documentation for storm and sanitary sewer construction projects for general conformance with accepted consultant design
- Respond to correspondence or inquiries from outside agencies, the public and other branches regarding sewer system operation
- Represents the City and liaises with internal branches, outside agencies, Metro Vancouver, government agencies and utility companies regarding sewer infrastructure projects
- Perform field reviews on sewer assets constructed by contractors to ensure general conformance with accepted design, sewer standards, and specifications; direct Engineering Project Cooperators for completion of field reviews as required
- Complete post construction evaluation of installed sewer infrastructure
- Support development application reviews for sewer infrastructure design requirements
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
- A minimum of 4 years related municipal civil infrastructure design and construction experience
- Registration or eligibility for registration as an EIT or Professional Engineer in British Columbia
- Experience in detailed design and review of storm and sanitary sewers
- Experience in developing and modifying processes, procedures, and work instructions to streamline internal and external processes
- Accredited project management training would be an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of engineering related to hydraulics, hydrology and rainwater management
- Experience using appropriate computer design and modelling software, and ArcGIS
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a variety of stakeholders
- Ability to build and maintain excellent working relationships with the public, outside agencies and other employees
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with multiple tasks of moderate complexity and setting/meeting competing deadlines
- Working knowledge of EGBC’s Organizational Quality Management processes (or other OQM frameworks)
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or higher and a satisfactory driving record
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: May, 2021
Number of Positions: 2
Application Close: April 9, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source