Requisition ID: 21208
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Using various research techniques, the Systems Analyst IA performs analytic work relating to studies of existing and proposed systems, procedures and methods in fleet management, parking enforcement and other related areas. These include feasibility studies, systems analysis and design, and methods and procedures studies. This position provides ongoing application support and responsibilities, and may include performing changes to business application configuration and programs.
This position has access to confidential files and information relating to and participates in the making of, a variety of recommendations for changes in methods and procedures of operations that may affect wage or salary rates, workloads, working conditions, promotional opportunities or reductions, changes or increases in employment.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
The position reports to a Team Manager within Technology Services and works closely with Program and Project team members, external Vendors, Help Centre staff, business customers, and other IT partners. May supervise external consultants, and evaluate developers for project deliverables.
- Acts as the project leader for moderately complex projects to implement computer systems and business process improvements of moderate cost and duration
- May direct project staff and be responsible for project performance; provides technical, direction to programmers in junior technical staff, clients or consultants as the course of business requires
- Acts as a consultant to business process owners, providing advanced support to meet business requirements, continuity of services and security of confidential data; consults with users in analyzing existing and proposed system procedures and requirements; provides impact assessments; recommends, designs and develops computer system solutions and applications for problems of varying complexity; prepares cost estimates and staff resource estimates
- Evaluates or formulates recommendations which may affect wage/salary rates, workloads, working conditions, promotional opportunities and reductions/increases in staff
- Evaluates need for, prepares detailed specifications for and writes new programs and revises existing programs using applicable software aids and languages
- Manages and administers databases and data used by departmental staff; this could include advising staff on functionality, assisting staff to locate and extract needed data, developing appropriate queries and creating custom programs for more complex analysis needs
- Prepares and maintains detailed user, systems and operations documentation; prepares and provides presentations, staff orientation, training & practical guidance on the use of new or changed computer systems and software
- Assists in development of computer system standards for system support and maintenance of various business functions
- Monitors & evaluates system usage and performance; implements improvements where appropriate
- Troubleshoots and resolves technical problems that can’t be resolved by junior technical staff
- Works with vendors to ensure service levels are met; if service breaks occur, facilitates speedy resolution and provides ongoing communication to department
- Build reports using third party software tools
- Trains department staff
- Prepares test plans and data and conducts program and system testing and debugging; identifies need for additional testing
- Keeps up-to-date with developments in programming techniques and languages, operating systems, database management software, computing hardware, the current state of the IT industry and industry trends, and related matters
- Conducts technical and IT industry research; advises on industry trends, feasibility of technologies, products and technology alternatives relevant to the department
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Business Administration or related field
- Minimum of 5 years related experience
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in developing and/or implementing business applications
- Thorough working knowledge of office productivity tools (e.g. Windows, MS Office, MS Project, Visio, etc.)
- ANSI SQL proficiency (T-SQL preferred)
- Demonstrated operational and project management skills: results focused, team oriented.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of computer programming
- Familiarity with object-oriented programming principles
- Familiarity with reporting and BI tools (SQL Server Reporting Services preferred)
- Familiarity with application development tools and standards as well as general programming principles and methodologies preferred
- Experience with server technology and software preferred
- Experience with system integration between business applications and across technical platforms preferred
- Ability to analyze and interpret data and develop solutions
- Ability to problem-solve
- Ability to implement change
- Ability to prepare reports in clear and non-technical language
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Combination of strong technical and business skills required
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills with ability to communicate to all levels of the organization
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, manage multiple priorities and respond to requests in a timely manner
Business Unit/Department: IT, Digital Strategy & 311 (1070)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: December 2020
Application Close: November 11, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source