Requisition ID: 27675
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Reporting to the Streets Design Technical Survey Supervisor, this position this position assists the Survey Technician in conducting varied survey assignments, including field and office related duties.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist a Survey Technician in the surveying of streets, lanes, parks and other features as assigned. Activities generally including:
- Operating and maintaining survey equipment such as total stations, survey controllers, auto-levels, and basic hand tools
- Carrying out physical work including but not limited to carrying survey equipment, locating survey pins, plugs and monuments, staking, exposing shallow utility covers and markers, clearing weeds, brush and other obstacles
- Providing traffic control including creating basic traffic control plans, setting up traffic control devices, and acting as a traffic control person
- Keeping field notes, sketches; making computations and calculations as required
- Perform office related duties such as data editing and input, basic drafting using civil engineering design and documentation software , and filing
- Conduct field investigations and pickup/deliver equipment or vehicles, supplies, and notices
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Completion of grade twelve supplemented by survey theory course work and some related experience, or an equivalent combination of training, education and experience
- Diploma of Technology in civil engineering or geomatics is preferred.
- Ability to complete the City of Vancouver Traffic Management training course
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of survey methods and techniques
- Skill in the use and care of surveying tools including total stations and levels
- Ability to establish and maintain effective respectful working relationships with staff, and exercise tact and diplomacy in relating to members of the public
- Ability to take direction from a rotating group of survey technicians in relation to specific assignments and carry out work diligently, efficiently, and safely
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations
- Ability to perform detailed work accurately, neatly and rapidly
- Ability to perform physical work outdoors in all weather conditions including walking, lifting and carrying all equipment used in the work over long distances on uneven terrain
- Ability to work safely in all traffic conditions and on construction sites
- Proficient in the use of civil engineering design and documentation software
Driver License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License and a safe driving record are required.
- The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
- Local area travel and transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: April, 2021
Position End Date: October, 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-015: $24.32 to $28.59 per hour
Number of Positions: Multiple
Application Close: April 9, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source