Requisition ID: 31025
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Reporting to the Technical Supervisor- Engineering, the Survey Assistant II provides assistance with all aspects of conducting varied survey assignments including field and office related duties.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists with the surveying of sewers, streets, lanes, parks and others
- Prepares field notes, sketches and makes computations and calculations
- Operates and maintains survey equipment such as total stations, survey controllers, auto-levels and basic hand tools
- Assists with locating survey pins, plugs and monuments, staking, exposing shallow utility covers and markers, clearing weeds, brush and other obstacles
- Assists in conducting field investigations, filing, and pickup and delivery of equipment or vehicles, supplies and notices
- Assists in traffic control duties including setting up traffic control devices
- Researches and provides technical and other information regarding sewer and water infrastructure for the public, city staff and private companies, providing written correspondence
- Carries out confined space entry procedures
- Communicates with the public, private companies, outside agencies and other City branches
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by technical courses related to the work and some related experience, or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Experience in the operation of total stations with data recorders and manual survey instruments
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good knowledge of municipal design and construction of sewer systems
- Working knowledge of the methods, techniques and equipment used in municipal survey work
- Working knowledge of office methods, procedures and practices
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills in establishing and maintaining cooperative and effective working relationships with staff and other contacts
- Ability to perform heavy physical work outdoors and walk for long periods in varying weather and traffic conditions
- Ability to accurately read, draw, and interpret engineering drawings
- Ability to work in a team setting with little or no supervision
- Ability to meet tight time lines in a multi-task environment
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License or higher and a Satisfactory driving record
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: August, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-015: $25.31 to $29.74 per hour
Number of Positions: 3
Application Close: July 2, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we ar e committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source