Supervisor Accounting Operations II
Requisition ID: 21394
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world by 2020 and we are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function:
The City of Vancouver is seeking a highly motivated and energetic professional accountant for the position of Supervisor, Utility Billing. This position provides leadership and training to the Utility Billing Group to deliver exceptional customer service and accuracy in utility billing and collection processes involving the City’s water, sewer, solid waste and neighbourhood energy utilities. Ensuring adherence to tight schedules, maintaining effective financial controls and interacting with a variety of contacts in an advisory capacity are also key components of this position. The successful candidate must be a self-starter, be able to grasp information quickly and be customer service oriented.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Manager of Tax & Utilities, the incumbent will be expected to develop close working relationships with a wide variety of internal departments and external contacts including Information Technology, Engineering Utilities Operations branches, Permits & Licenses, 311 Operations, provincial government agencies and the general public. Works with the Manager to ensure timely billing and collection of utilities, maintain sound internal controls and implement process improvements and system enhancements. Provides day to day supervision of approximately 7 clerical billing staff.
Main responsibilities include:
- Oversee the successful delivery of multiple utility billing cycles throughout the year – billing over 200,000 customers and collecting over $200M in revenues annually; Manage the billing schedule and related tasks with numerous internal groups.
- Responsible for the collection of receivables, ensures timely review of aging accounts receivable reports, and escalates delinquent accounts to legal and senior management
- Interpret the annual utility by-laws and responsible for insuring user fee schedules are reflected in the billing system to meet budget requirements.
- Perform system/procedural reviews to detect, analyze and report on problems of a financial nature, including variances from norm and bottlenecks in workflows.
- Ability to research, identify issues and trends, evaluate alternatives and recommend improvements in billing practices and customer service; escalate issues appropriately.
- Implement system and or business procedure changes and effectively communicate these changes to staff and other involved parties. Plans, designs and executes testing of system enhancements. Develop and maintain process and procedural documentation and training materials.
- Provide guidance to staff and/or the general public in matters pertaining civic by-laws, policies, procedures, rules, standards and systems
- Lead the utility team in providing excellent customer service. Handle and investigate difficult cases or customers referred by a subordinate, escalating issues to the Manager where required
- Plan, assign, supervise and review the work of seven staff; assist in the selection, training and evaluation processes.
- Preparation of key performance indicators for the billing function, preparation and presentation of reports to senior management.
- Assist with the preparation and monitoring of the department’s budget. Review and monitor monthly account reconciliations and yearend working papers related to Utilities.
Education and Experience
- Degree or diploma in business administration or accounting. Chartered professional accountant designation preferred. Minimum of five years progressive related experience in a large organization, ideally within the public sector or a unionized environment; minimum of three years supervisory experience required.
- Must be one or more of the following:
- a senior level student or recent graduate of an accredited accounting program, or
- an accountant in good standing with an accredited accounting designation, or
- an individual with considerable equivalent current relevant accounting experience.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Working knowledge of:
- Internal control principles and practices,
- Accounting principles, practices and procedures related to accounts receivables;
- Principles and practices of office management and supervision
- Legislation, policies, rules and regulations governing metered water and sanitation.
Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency with sophisticated billing and financial systems
- demonstrated competency in various PC applications – MS Word, Excel, and Outlook
- highly accurate and attentive to detail; superior analytical and mathematical aptitude
- Ability to supervise, coordinate and train staff – foster a culture of teamwork and continuous improvement
- Highly accurate and attentive to detail
- Superior analytical and mathematical aptitude
- Sound professional judgment and business sense
- Strong time management skills combined with the ability to multi-task
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to deal with complex customer issues
- Incumbent should be adept at working in an environment subject to frequent interruptions and variations in volume
Business Unit/Department: Finance, Risk & Business Plan (1150)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: November 2020
Position End Date: January 2022
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-026: $39.56 to $46.75 per hour
Application Close: September 27, 2020
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source