Requisition ID: 30222
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Superintendent II is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Vancouver Landfill and Vancouver South Transfer Station. The position makes key decisions for administrative processes and practices for the branch; repairs and maintenance related to capital projects; planning, scheduling and budgeting work activities; and managing the operating budget.
The position reports to the Superintendent III and manages a large team comprised of frontline Superintendents and operations staff. The position also liaises with internal and external stakeholders regarding Equipment, Facilities and Capital construction related to the Transfer Station and Landfill facilities.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Leads and directs human resources activities for the team including recruitment and selection, assigning responsibilities, succession planning, labour relations, performance management, attendance management, discipline, grievance handling, and other personnel issues including staff coaching and mentoring
- Manages program expenditures and maintains standing work order numbers on an annual basis
- Oversees capital and maintenance projects related to building upgrades while maintaining relationships with project managers, internal and external contractors
- Oversees all maintenance related to facilities such as the Transfer Station, Landfill Operations building and technical building
- Audits and assesses administrative processes to streamline the delivery of administrative support related to weighmaster and scale operations
- Facilitates the creation of operating budget reports for, including variance interpretation and presentation to, the Transfer and Landfill Operations (TLO) management team, while maintaining proper funding at the program and Capital Construction levels including stakeholder updates
- Develops spending strategies for new program implementation around Zero Waste and Recycling
- Reports out on alignment of levels of service with funding levels and identify discrepancies and mitigation
- Coordinates training for internal/external non-safety/equipment related training including its administration, tracking, logistics, liaising and internal auditing for industry best practices
- Oversees metrics and reporting processes to ensure accurate information is provided for up-to-date scorecard data, monthly summaries, etc. and active involvement in Branch benchmarking strategies
- Develops and maintains a work process manual
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Diploma in Engineering or Public Works a minimum of eight years’ related experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience.
- Experience leading diverse and multi-disciplinary teams within a unionized environment
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent knowledge of management principles, policies and practices including recruitment and selection, leadership, performance, attendance management and collective agreements
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to motivate, engage and mentor staff
- Ability to prepare and oversee operating budget, forecasts, cost controls, scheduling and work planning
- Comprehensive knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety standards including WorkSafeBC regulations
- Comprehensive knowledge of solid waste practices including but not limited to: transferring of Solid Waste, Landfilling of Solid Waste, Heavy Equipment Operations, Hazardous Waste and asbestos awareness and recycling regulations
- Excellent problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent communication (oral and written), interpersonal and presentation skills
- Ability to develop and maintain positive, productive relationships at all levels in the organization and external stakeholders
- Ability to initiate and implement creative and innovative technical, policy or process changes while ensuring buy-in from staff and other stakeholders
- Ability to learn and adapt to new systems and technology
- Ability to exercise tact and discretion in dealing with confidential and sensitive matters
- Proficient in the use of software applications and databases
- A current and valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License and a satisfactory driving record are required – Class 1 or 3 with air break endorsement would be a strong asset
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: August 2021
Application Close: June 22, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source