Requisition ID: 21713
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Superintendent I is responsible for managing the Electrical Operations group. This positon will optimize efficiency, present metrics, develop process improvements and lead front line staff. The Superintendent I will manage the health and safety of employees to ensure requirements, regulatory obligations, safety procedures and branch policies are met. The role will also be accountable for the scope, schedule and budget of the project and program work within their respective areas of responsibility. In addition, this position will be responsible for QA/QC on internal civil/electrical work and ensuring the construction takes place as per approved IFC drawings, and that contractor/developer performed work is done as per City of Vancouver (CoV) standards/IFC drawings.
The Superintendent I reports to the Superintendent II of the Traffic and Electrical Operations and Design Branch. This position will lead a team of approx. 15 unionized employees and works closely with the Streets Operations, Traffic Data Management Branch and Technology Services Branches.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures that internal Civil/Electrical work is performed as per approved IFC drawings and CoV standards and sign off for the work for compliance
- Develops QA/QC frame work and accepts/rejects work performed by internal crew and external contractors
- Works closely with branch FSR’s and Inspections department to ensure standards are met
- Communicates branch objectives, requirements and rationale with staff and encourages workplace productivity, good attendance and morale by building engagement
- Leads performance planning and labour management activities
- Supports and adheres to the Attendance Management, Stay-At-Work and Return-To-Work programs
- Employs coaching, corrective action and discipline to deal with issues and non-performance; and escalates issues appropriately to the Superintendent II and Branch Manager
- Participates in the recruitment and selection process for new hires and ensures appropriate onboarding and training of new employees
- Reviews and develops annual plans, work priorities, schedules, and crew allocations to ensure resources and equipment are efficiently and effectively allocated and work outcomes are optimized
- Monitors budgets and maintains cost controls by analyzing and investigating variances, obtaining quotes and authorizing invoices
- Provides input with planning, reviewing and adhering to Operating and Capital Budget parameters depending on work area
- Creates, maintains, analyzes and makes recommendations using statistical branch data to support business and operational decisions
- Understands established branch metrics and assists in developing new metrics, as required, that can be used to manage and control business operations
- Develops, maintains and monitors services levels and resourcing plans for area(s) of responsibility
- Ensures continual improvement in service delivery and efficiencies in operating process.
- Develops and maintains relationships with internal and external customers and liaises with City departments and partner branches (e.g. design and operating branches) to improve integration and ensure active collaboration
- Participates as on-call Superintendent during non-scheduled working hours
- Ensures that all work is being performance in a safe manner at all times and adheres to Branch Safe Work Procedures and Organizational Health & Safety Regulations and Electrical Safety Program.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of grade 12 supplemented by technical and/or business management courses related to operations management, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- 6-8 years of operations leadership experience in a Unionized environment including 2 years of supervisory experience
- Project management skills and experience considered an asset
- A current and valid BC Driver’s License is a requirement of this position. The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
- Completion of an apprenticeship and Trade Qualification recognized in BC with preference for an Interprovincial Seal, supplemented by technical and/or business management courses related to operations management
- Completion of Field Safety Representative (FSR) B required (for Cable & Comm, lighting)
- Considerable experience as a Journeyperson Electrician; professional credentials (such as AScT or P.Eng or Engineering limited license) in Electrical field will be an asset
- Minimum three years of Quality Assurance/Control experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive working experience and knowledge using modern construction and maintenance practices and methods
- Demonstrated ability as a team player and promotes productive and coordinated teams both within and between the work groups.
- Ability to create a vision with clear expectations for staff and provide the leadership necessary to set performance goals and coach employees to achieve desired results
- Demonstrated ability to effectively supervise employees and deal with a variety of employee issues through methods of coaching, mentoring, training and motivating staff
- Demonstrated strong strategic, leadership and management ski lls to direct a large operational team
- Effective leadership skills with experience in conflict resolution and team building
- Possess excellent planning, organizational and project management skills
- Ability to analyze and problem-solve complex issues
- Strong interpersonal skills to promote a supportive, respectful and safe work environment.
- Strong capabilities with Windows-based business applications such as MS Office, Hansen and SAP
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: November 2020
Position End Date: November 2022
Application Close: October 30, 2020
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source