Great City, Great Work, Great Future!
Subforeperson 2 – Sewers
Regular Full Time
NO. OF POSITIONS:
CUPE, Local 387
HOURS OF WORK:
40 hours per week 7:30 am – 4:00 pm*
$ 32.06 per hour (2019 rates) + comprehensive benefits package
Reporting to the Supervisor, Water & Waste Water, you are responsible for planning, assigning, training, supervising and assisting in the work of a crew of workers engaged in the manual maintenance, repair and installation work of sewer systems and related equipment and facilities. Other responisbilities include directing truck and equipment operation engaged in the work supervised, assisting the Supervisor in estimating and recommending project specifications, inspecting new job sites, ensurring the safety of the work crew and the public by ensuring that safety precautions and regulations are observed, preparing and maintaining related work records and other related duties as required. As a member of the Water & Wastewater team, you may also have the opportunity to receive training in the City’s water utility and provide support in related water works maintenance, installation and repair. If the following characteristics and skills describe you, we want to meet you!
You have a positive, energetic “can-do” approach to work
- Grade 12 graduation, preferably supplemented EOCP Wastewater Collection Level 1 certification or have completed other related courses in sewers, drainage and safety related training; plus related training and experience in supervising a small staff team. An equivalent combination of training and experience as acceptable to the employer may be considered.
- You have considerable experience in the maintenance of municipal sewer & drainage services and facilities, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- You have considerable knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the maintenance, installation and repair of municipal sewer & drainage services and facilities
- You have sound knowledge of the City’s sewer & drainage system
- You have considerable knowledge of the safety precautions and hazards applicable to the work
- Ability to plan, assign, train, supervise and participate in the work of subordinates engaged sewer and drainage maintenance, installation and repair operations.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions, work from blueprints, plans and sketches, and prepare and maintain records related to the work.
- Ability to lay out projects and assist in estimating time, manpower, tools, materials and equipment required and to order and expedite delivery of materials, tools and equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts and to communicate effectively with members of the public.
- You have the ability to employ contemporary services excellence principles at work
- You have the ability to effectively perform tasks with minimum supervision and to exercise good judgment and independence when responding to emergency calls, after hours calls or other situations
- Skill in the use and care of tools and equipment used in the work
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 BC Driver’s License
- Must be able to pass and maintain a clear Police Information Check
*This position has the option to participate in a compressed work week program, working an extra half hour per day, accumulating time for a paid day off.
Apply by sending your resume quoting competition #20-64 by October 9, 2020 to the Human Resources Department, City of New Westminster, 511 Royal -Avenue, New Westminster, BC, V3L 1H9, Fax: (604) 527-4619 or e-mail to email@example.com.
The City of New Westminster welcomes diversity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position is only open to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
View Original Source Source