Requisition ID: 28173
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Strategic Business Analyst role is responsible for analytical work, business and process analysis and managing technology projects for land development and permitting related processes in Engineering, with a specific emphasis on supporting POSSE (The City’s permitting software) enhancements required for Engineering Services. They lead in delivering business process improvements related to land development and permitting projects that can leverage technical solutions.
Key responsibilities include conducting various types of analysis; such as gap analysis, metrics, data analysis of business applications, including but not limited to POSSE data, process evaluation and optimization. Perform detailed analysis of business requirements, translate them into system (POSSE) requirements, develop solution options, and provide testing support and training to the department’s POSSE users.
Reporting to the Branch Manager of Development Services and with a dotted line to the Program Manager for Engineering Services’ technical projects, the successful candidate will work closely with the Projects and Development Services management team, Development, Building and Licensing staff, departmental subject matter experts, Technology Services staff, external vendors, and other internal stakeholders.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Leads strategic planning of technology needs, future direction and deployment for land development and permitting processes across Engineering Services
- Works with departmental business groups to identify business requirements and with IT groups to identify technology requirements, participating in or conducting meetings as required. Recommends technology driven improvements to business processes
- Conducts business process analysis (using Lean/ Six Sigma or similar methodologies) to conduct value stream mapping, identify relevant KPIs, complete current state analysis, develop future state recommendations and build an implementation plan for a variety of business processes and value streams
- Creates and presents project and business level reports or topics to project team members, project stakeholders and senior executives, including creating and distributing communications materials
- Conducts data analysis and develops new reports for operational groups based on data from the POSSE solution and other city solutions. Works with the spatial reporting staff to develop map based visualizations
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Business Administration
- 5 years of experience as a Project Manager, Business Analyst or Systems Analyst in implementing business solutions, with a preference for municipal experience
- A minimum of 3 years of proven experience in leading, supporting and implementing business improvement, process reviews and successfully managing change
- Formal training in the Business Analysis discipline or Business Analyst certification (IIBA) and/or Lean and Six Sigma certification preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of application reporting and BI tools such as PowerBI and Qlik Sense; SQL and SQL reporting; understanding of spatial data sets, statistical analysis
- Demonstrated knowledge of Project Management methodologies, processes, standards and policies
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills; ability to write effectively, organize and maintain the body of project documentation prepare status reports, prepare effective presentations and summaries
- Demonstrated ability to speak effectively in public through formal and informal meetings and presentations across all levels of the organization (from union staff to senior executives)
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research, analyze and solve problems, summarize results and make decisions or recommendations based upon thorough analysis of facts
- Ability to reconcile differing perspectives, develop consensus, and secure cooperation and support from both customers and team members
- Good understanding of Organizational Change Management principles, methods and processes
- High level of proficiency with IT applications; advanced usage of Excel, pivot tables, BI tools
- Effective organizational skills and demonstrated ability to coordinate priorities and deliver high quality and timely results under tight deadlines. Supports end users in developing dashboards and metrics reports using various tools
*** This role might become regular full-time for the right candidate***
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: May 2021
Position End Date: November 2022
Application Close: April 20,2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source