Sport Instructor – Badminton
Position Type: Auxiliary
Department: Community Sport
Applicant Closing Date: March 1, 2021
Anticipated Start Date: March, 2021
We are looking for a passionate individual with a love of badminton and a sound coaching background. This position is focused on introducing individuals ages 6 to 15 to badminton and developing fundamental badminton skills, rules and tactics, agility, balance, coordination and speed.
Your core responsibilities include:
- Working in a team environment to ensure the participant has a positive experience while at the Richmond Olympic Oval.
- Monitoring and maintaining the integrity, appearance, and safety of all Oval sport equipment and surroundings.
- Setting up badminton nets and equipment, as needed.
- Ensuring a safe environment for all and overseeing sign-in and sign-out of camp participants.
- Coaching and instructing activities and lessons with enthusiasm, instructing based on objectives, and adjusting activities based on age, skill and athletic levels, according to the Long-Term Development Model/Sport for Life.
- Preparing for each session by making lesson plans and drills for a range of different abilities and ages.
- Demonstrating leadership, energy, and enthusiasm to the teaching environment each day.
- Ensuring that appropriate skills are being taught to participants and progression through levels takes place.
- Demonstrating support to all other sport leaders, as needed.
- Recording and communicating feedback, strengths, and weaknesses with supervisors, to ensure important information is being communicated.
- Providing exceptional customer service.
- Reporting to the Sport Camp Programmer and Head Coach, Community Sport.
- Compliance with camp policies and procedures (attendance, first aid, etc.).
- Other camp related tasks as assigned.
The qualifications and skills you bring to this role include:
- A love for teaching children!
- Exceptional customer service skills.
- Has extensive background and knowledge in badminton and sport instruction.
- Experience delivering high quality badminton programming to children ages 6 to 15 is preferred.
- Ability and confidence to coach and lead large groups.
- Ability to deal with a diversity of people in a calm, courteous, and effective manner.
- Effective communication, interpersonal, prioritization, planning and organizational skills.
- Ability to work within a team environment is essential.
- Optimistic, passionate and personable.
- Flexibility with availability.
- Badminton NCCP Certificates an asset.
- NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills, Kids Can Move, or Run Jump Throw, or equivalent training an asset.
- Experience working with children in a sport camp or related setting as a leader or volunteer an asset.
- Valid Standard First Aid, CPR-C and AED Certificate.
- Must be able to complete a successful Criminal Record Check.
- Successful completion of Grade 12 preferred.
Availability: Must be available to work Monday through Friday 8:30am-4:30pm for the weeks of March 15-26, 2021. If interested, your role could extend into teaching summer badminton camps and sport leader shifts as well as other Auxiliary opportunities.
Our Values make us who we are: Our workplace values are the guiding principles that are most important to us about the way that we work. Aligning with the City of Richmond, the Richmond Olympic Oval is an incredibly diverse and high performing values-based organization. Our values (People, Excellence, Leadership, Team and Innovation) are at the core of what we do; they define our culture, represent our collective conscience, and define the basic principles by which we operate. Our values govern the way we make decisions, guide us as we interact with our community, and shape our unique workplace culture and environment.
Some of the perks for working at a world class Olympic Venue include:
- 12% in lieu of benefits on top of your hourly rate.
- Collaborative team environment.
- Oval Team discounts, access to fitness classes/climbing wall/fitnees centre
- Opportunity to work in various auxiliary positions at the Richmond Olympic Oval to grow your knowledge and experience.
The Richmond Olympic Oval is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity. We also recognize unique styles, perspectives, beliefs and creativity that support a diverse, respectful, inclusive and collaborative work environment.
If you are personable, have a great attitude, are passionate about delivering exceptional customer service and have a genuine interest in contributing to the greater good of our company and our community, we want to hear from you!
View Original Source Source