Sport Climbing Instructor – Camps
Position Type: Auxiliary
Department: Community Sport
Application Closing Date: February 28, 2021 (Interviews may occur prior to the application closing date)
Anticipated Start Date: March, 2020
The Role: We are looking for passionate individuals with a love of climbing and a sound coaching background. This position is focused on helping individuals aged 6 to 17 years develop fundamental to intermediate climbing skills in a fun and safe environment.
Your core responsibilities include:
- Communicate with parents and provide camp participants with feedback.
- Ensure general program readiness including equipment lists, lesson plans, games and activities for a range of abilities.
- Implement a variety of techniques for students to develop climbing skills.
- Responsible for the safety and progressive instruction of Learn to Climb camps based on the objectives of the specific programs as well as Long Term Athlete Development Model/Sport for Life.
- Communicate effectively with the Climbing Programmer, Sport Camp Programmer and Head Coaches regarding program/camp needs and improvements.
- Evaluate athlete abilities and maintain records of the skills of each climber.
- Compliant with Oval policies and procedures (attendance, report cards, radios, first aid, etc.).
The qualifications and skills you bring to this role include:
- A love for teaching children!
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Background and knowledge in Sport Climbing (Boulder, Lead and Speed)
- Additional knowledge in outdoor rock climbing is an asset
- Intermediate – Advanced level of climbing skill and knowledge in multiple disciplines
- Experience delivering high quality, progressive climbing instruction to athletes ages 6 to 17 is preferred
- Ability to assess and evaluate athlete’s fundamental movement skills and as well as specific climbing skills
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Optimistic, passionate and personable
- Completion of, or in progress of completing the Climbing Gym Instructor Level 1 and 2 Certification (ACMG) an asset
- NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills, Kids Can Move, or Run Jump Throw, or equivalent training an asset
- Valid Standard First Aid and CPR-C and AED Certificate
- Must be able to successfully complete a criminal record check
Work Hours: Must be available during Spring Break: March 15-26 Monday – Friday 8am-1pm.
Priority may be given to applicants who are also interested in continuing on by assisting with our other Programs and Summer Camps (July/August 2021), and/or have skills to work as Climbing Wall Attendant and/or Route Setter – more information will be provided during interview.
Our Values make us who we are: Our workplace values are the guiding principles that are most important to us about the way that we work. Aligning with the City of Richmond, the Richmond Olympic Oval is an incredibly diverse and high performing values-based organization. Our values (People, Excellence, Leadership, Team and Innovation) are at the core of what we do; they define our culture, represent our collective conscience, and define the basic principles by which we operate. Our values govern the way we make decisions, guide us as we interact with our community, and shape our unique workplace culture and environment.
Some of the perks for working at a world class Olympic Venue include:
- 12% in lieu of benefits on top of your hourly rate.
- Collaborative team environment.
- Oval Team discounts, access to fitness classes/climbing wall/fitnees centre
- Opportunity to work in various auxiliary positions at the Richmond Olympic Oval to grow your knowledge and experience.
The Richmond Olympic Oval is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity. We also recognize unique styles, perspectives, beliefs and creativity that support a diverse, respectful, inclusive and collaborative work environment.
If you are personable, have a great attitude, are passionate about delivering exceptional customer service and have a genuine interest in contributing to the greater good of our company and our community, we want to hear from you!
View Original Source Source