University of the Fraser Valley
Specialist, Technology Infrastructure
Specialist, Technology Infrastructure Department Information Technology (IT) Services
Staff, 100% full-time, Permanent
Appropriate placement on the IT Professional Scale Start Date As soon as possible after application review date
January 18, 2021
The University of the Fraser Valley has four campus locations within the beautiful Fraser Valley in British Columbia. Recognized as one of BC’s top employers, UFV offers a combination of career and lifestyle benefits. Join a team of 1,400 passionate professionals who value integrity, inclusivity and excellence. At UFV, you will serve a vibrant community, and shape the future of 15,000 students.
The Office of the CIO (OCIO) comprises the IT Services (ITS) and Business Transformation Office (BTO). The unit is experiencing a period of exciting transformation and growth with the goal of improving the technology experience and service delivery to UFV’s students, faculty, and staff.
Reporting to the Manager, Cloud, Servers & Storage, the Technology Infrastructure Specialist is responsible for designing, deploying, administering, monitoring, securing, optimizing and troubleshooting for enterprise level servers, storage, backup systems, cloud services and the UFV Data Centers. The Technology Infrastructure Specialist will define the technological vision and, propose and guide the design of new solutions ensuring their scalability, modularity and compatibility.
This role participates in the design, deployment, provisioning, administration, securing, optimization, monitoring and maintenance of UFV’s servers, storage, and backup systems. The Specialist will provide proactive operational support for virtual services and physical server infrastructure, network storage systems, cloud integrated services, automation, enterprise backup systems and data center management. As an escalation point for multiple IT teams, the Specialist will troubleshoot all server related issues including Windows and Linux/Unix environments, virtual and physical servers and cross-functional issues requiring collaboration with offer staff.
Please note system maintenance is usually required to be performed off-hours and major issues are responded to on a 24/7 basis. This position may be required to work at any UFV campus based on operational needs. This position will also perform other related duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical assessments and recommendations for data center, backup and server system enhancements, related products and services
- Integration and testing of hardware, operating systems and third-party Data Center applications to meet UFV server standards
- Identify key areas of operational inefficiency and optimal pilot candidates for automation
- Develop and implement strategies and best practices to increase automation of system deployment, backups, operation and maintenance activities
- Administration, setup and maintenance of Windows VDI environment
- Acts as the technical lead on server and storage related systems including designing, planning and implementing new solutions and upgrades
- Assist with defining and documenting requirements and cost estimations and budgeting
- Lead the assessment of servers, storage and related products and services and provide recommendations
- Identify tasks and resources related to technical requirements and assist with scheduling including supervising implementation to ensure specifications and scheduling are met
- Regularly meet with representatives and participate in campus groups to ensure services are meeting expectations
- Act as primary technical contact for third parties for the provision of server related support and services
- Develop and maintain the backup/recover strategy for UFV server data
- Participate in negotiations with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure software products and services and monitor the status of contractual obligations and advise manager
- Schedule and coordinate the delivery of upgrades and services with the user community
- Develops and maintain detailed documentation including conceptual design, logical design, physical design, as-built diagrams
- Design, develop, test and oversee implementation of end-to-end IT cloud integrated systems
- Establish performance, resource utilization and event monitoring schedules and procedures
- Establish server naming conventions and protocols, including usage reporting and perform capacity planning
- Conduct research on emerging cloud technologies in support of infrastructure development efforts, and recommend technologies that will increase cost effectiveness and infrastructure flexibility
- Trains users and cross trains co-workers on applications systems used within University, including new colleagues or individuals for other areas within IT
- Maintains professional knowledge and currency in related technologies through engaging in learning opportunities both formal and informal including researching emerging technologies and standards, demonstrating a commitment to continuous improvement
- Communicates in a respectful and professional manner with all aspects of the department, University community and related vendor partners
- Collaborate effectively as a team member, including sharing information, cross training and cooperation
- Deploys change management best practices related to the coordination of upgrades, system improvements and release management
- Participates in committees and project teams as required, attends Change Advisory Board (CAB) meetings
- Undertakes related duties as assigned, consistent with the job grade of this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics or Mathematics, or acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience
- Microsoft Windows Server certifications (MCSE, MCSA), CompTIA IT certifications (Network+, Security+, Cloud+) and Active VMware certification (VCP-DCV),AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Professional
- CCNP Data Centre and ITIL Certification or experience with ITIL methodologies is an asset
- SNIA Storage Engineer or SNIA Storage Networking Expert
- VMware Certified Professional 5 – Data Center Virtualization (VCP-DCV) and VMware Certified Professional – Cloud Management & Automation (VCP-Cloud)
- Advanced knowledge of cloud IaaS/PaaS/SaaS technologies
- A minimum of seven (7) years’ experience with enterprise level servers/storage virtualization and data centers and two (2) years’ experience engineering, optimization and automation of private/public cloud infrastructure
- Experience with deployment automation scripting [PowerShell, Puppet, Chef, Ansible, etc.] is required
- Experience designing and consuming cloud services (AWS, Azure or Google Cloud Platform); certification required
- Demonstrated knowledge of SAN and backup systems, procedures and best practices
- Demonstrated knowledge of network management systems, procedures and best practices
- Demonstrated knowledge of Virtualization systems, procedures and best practices
- Proven ability to troubleshoot Microsoft Windows and Linux/Unix operating system, hardware based and virtual servers
- Knowledge of containers (Docker and Kubernetes) is considered an asset
- Demonstrated understanding of storage architecture design techniques, theories, principles, and practices
- Extensive experience in developing strategic systems architecture plans
- Working technical experience with designing, building, installing, configuring, and supporting storage servers and management software
- Knowledge of Data Centre infrastructure and security practices, enterprise storage and virtualization platforms, including:
- Vsphere 6.5/7.0/Hyper-V and/or VMware ESXi/vCenter/vRealize 6.x Operations and best practice methodology,
- Windows Server 2012/2016/2019, Active Directory (DNS, GPO, ADFS and SCCM),
- Networking (NIC Teaming, layer-2 and layer-3 IP troubleshooting),
- Enterprise SAN (fibre channel, iSCSI) and NAS solutions
- Systems Operations and Monitoring
- Data backup and replication, disaster recovery
- Must have advanced understanding of server architecture types and characteristics
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects/tasks of varying complexities, meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
How to Apply
The Selection Advisory Committee will begin the review of applications on January 18, 2021. To apply, please direct your resume including evidence of appropriate qualifications, referring to Posting #2020.218 to email@example.com.
University of the Fraser Valley
33844 King Road,
Abbotsford, BC, Canada V2S 7M8
Tel: (604) 854-4554
Fax: (604) 854-1538
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. In an effort to be both environmentally and fiscally responsible, UFV will contact only candidates receiving an interview. We thank all applicants for considering UFV for employment. UFV is committed to the principle of equity in employment.
View Original Source Source