SOLICITOR – SURREY POLICE SERVICE
The Surrey Police Service (“SPS”) is bringing an era of modern and progressive policing to Surrey. We are a community-based policing service that is at the forefront of public safety. We are committed to meeting our city’s unique priorities and building a team that reflects the diverse and inclusive communities we serve. Help us build a new community-responsive police service that will support one of the fastest growing and diverse cities in Canada.
SPS is hiring for a Solicitor within the Office of the Chief Constable. The Solicitor will support the Chief Constable and SPS Executives with establishing and implementing the required legal frameworks essential to the establishment and operation of the SPS.
Reporting to the Chief Constable, the Solicitor will provide specialized support in the establishment and compliance of policies, Freedom of Information and protection of privacy protocols, risk management regulations and standards specific to policing, and contractual obligations and development and management of contracts for SPS.
- Legal advice and counsel to the Chief Constable on a diverse range of complex legal matters with a particular focus on; Freedom of Information and protection of privacy protocols, risk management in policing, development of policies, and oversight of legal contracts.
- Develop and implement legal standards, procedures, and polices to support internal operating structures across the organization and monitor and audit compliance with respect to areas of accountability.
- Advise on corporate governance matters in relation to policing standards, procedures, risk management, internal operations, and policies.
- Research and prepare legal opinions and report on legal matters based on knowledge of policing administration, compliance, and legal interpretation.
- Exercise independence of judgment, when working in accordance with and limited by statutes and legal precedents.
- Provide legal advice and direction as policing statutes and standards are amended by the Province and/or the Federal Government.
- Manage files assigned to outside legal counsel, guide reviews, and develop legal strategies for SPS.
- Render legal opinions on matters covered by existing legislation and the appropriateness and the constitutionality of proposed structures, directives, policies, and procedures.
- Consult with government and external stakeholders on issues involving the drafting and revision and existing legislation.
- Serve on internal and external committees to represent the SPS’s interests.
- Stay current on policing trends, public safety, and related legal developments.
- Develop strong working relationships with various internal and external stakeholders including the SPS Executive Team, the Executive Director Surrey Police Board, the City of Surrey, external counsel, and provincial and federal government officials.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Post-graduate university degree in law (LLB or JD) and member in good standing with the Law Society of BC.
- 10 years of varied solicitor’s practice, with a focus on freedom of information and regulatory, statutory, and legislative enforcement compliance. A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a policing environment as a lawyer.
- Excellent knowledge of and demonstrated experience working with the B.C. Police Act, B.C. Provincial Policing Standards, and other related regulations, legislation, and policies applicable to all functional areas of policing.
- Able to communicate effectively – orally and in writing – with diverse stakeholders, with superior presentation, negotiation, conflict management and interpersonal skills.
- Able to plan and prioritize a varied workload and meet objectives with self initiation.
- Strong abilities in drafting legal documents, conducting research, and providing sound legal advice.
- Able to offer innovative solutions to problems and resolve matters under pressure and tight timelines.
- Able to deal tactfully, courteously, and effectively with the public, staff, all levels of management and the Surrey Police Board.
- Strong work ethic with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders.
- Aligns with SPS values and core competencies.
- Able to obtain and maintain a police security clearance.
To view and apply please visit our website at www.surreypolice.ca/careers
This posting closes February 9, 2021
View Original Source Source