Requisition ID: 28977
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Senior Water Design Engineer is responsible for managing programs that support the renewal and replacement of aging water infrastructure. This position provides design, project management and contract management during the design and construction of infrastructure projects; establishes water system requirements for development proposals; supports water system maintenance and operations; and provides long range asset planning in branch, departmental and city-wide planning initiatives.
This position reports to the Civil Engineer III and manages a team comprised of Civil Engineers, Engineering Assistants and Survey Assistants, responsible for project scoping, design drawings, budget estimating and inspection during construction. The Senior Water Design Engineer works closely with Water Operations, Engineering Strategy and Standards, Engineering Project Delivery, and various branches across Engineering and external organizations such as Metro Vancouver and BC Hydro.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages a team of engineers, Engineering Assistants, and surveyors responsible for capital project design submissions and project management documents
- Recruits, selects, coaches and mentors team staff
- Assigns responsibilities/tasks and completes performance plans/reviews and training plans
- Manages and oversees the quality control of water and multi-disciplinary (i.e., water, sewer, streets) capital projects, in accordance with the City’s Project Management Framework
- Responsible, as the Engineer of Record, for all capital design submissions generated by the team, including Direct Supervision requirements of subordinates
- Ensure all team members and design submissions adhere to the Engineering department’s Organizational Quality Management (OQM) and Project Management Framework (PMF) requirements
- Oversees constructability planning during design submissions for cost effective construction implementation
- Coordinates and liaises with Waterworks Asset Management, Planning, and Development groups during capital project planning and detailed design
- Liaises with other City departments to coordinate the design, planning, and construction of Waterworks projects
- Develops and maintains construction schedule and budget; oversees progression and budgetary expenditures of capital projects
- Completes post construction evaluation of project closing tasks
- Oversees the scoping, procurement and management of professional design service contracts, as required, for the replacement or rehabilitation of linear Waterworks assets
- Oversees progression and budgetary expenditures of capital projects
- Prepares technical reports, presentations, letters and memos
- Communicates with the public, consultants, and staff across the city departments
- Advances the design and construction standards for Waterworks, as part of overall City of Vancouver Engineering Design Standards
- Leads the review of externally designed Waterworks projects
Education and Experience:
- Registration as a Professional Engineer in BC
- Post-secondary degree in Civil Engineering
- A minimum of 8 years related experience in the design and construction of water infrastructure, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Previous experience in developing and managing budgets for infrastructure capital works
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Solid knowledge of civil engineering practices and underground infrastructure design and construction practices particularly related to water main design
- Working knowledge of engineering practices related to hydraulics, hydrology and rainwater management
- Working knowledge of Organizational Quality Management processes and frameworks
- Working Knowledge of Project Management methodologies, processes, standards and policies
- Excellent knowledge of management principles, policies and practices including recruitment and selection, leadership, performance and attendance management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and experience writing technical reports and conduct presentations
- Strong project management skills with demonstrated ability to prepare and manage project and program budgets
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills with the ability to effectively and efficiently prioritize actions in response to numerous and diverse demands
- Strong conflict resolution, mediation and negotiation skills
- Ability to develop and maintain positive, productive relationships at all levels in the organization and external stakeholders
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: July, 2021
Application Close: May 19, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply through our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source