Requisition ID: 29773
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Reporting to the Manager, Transportation Planning, the Senior Transportation Planning Engineer provides leadership, forward thinking and strategic community transportation planning expertise to developing the City’s Transport Pricing strategy as well as other long-range transportation planning projects and initiatives.
The Senior Transportation Planning Engineer will manage a team comprised of Engineers, Planners and Engagement Specialists. The position works cross-functionally with other transportation branches, other City departments and external stakeholders, such as TransLink, Metro Vancouver and partner municipalities to develop, inform and shape future City transportation policy, and the transportation response to Citywide long-range plans and initiatives, and major projects.
This primary responsibility for this position for the next few years is to lead the technical components of and provide strategic input into the City’s Transport Pricing strategy development as part of the City’s Climate Emergency Action Plan. The position will also contribute to other local and regional long-range transportation planning initiatives, such as the Vancouver Plan and TransLink’s Transport 2050.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides technical leadership and strategic input into complex projects and processes
- Analyzes, prioritizes and implements transportation planning projects over a 30 year planning horizon
- Interprets City and Transportation policy, goals and department requirements for internal stakeholders, developers, consultants, and the public
- Develops new and updates existing policies for review by the Manager; researches and reviews existing policies and bylaws and best practices around the world
- Prepares technical and council updates for approval, which include implications on the transportation network, street space allocation and transportation demand, and as this relates to different sociodemographic and socioeconomic groups
- Liaises with other City departments, stakeholders and outside agencies, including working closely with the Vancouver Economic Commission, TransLink, Metro Vancouver, and academic institutions
- Conducts regular meetings with stakeholder groups and communicates and liaises with the public to discuss transportation solutions
- Provides leadership and guidance to staff, including hiring, assigning responsibilities, managing performance, coaching, mentoring and training and development
- Manages the procurement process, including defining requirements and negotiating terms of agreement, for engaging with external consultants to support City projects
- Guides and coordinates consultant work, and ensures due input from relevant internal and partner agency staff
- Participates in budget and workforce planning
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering with a Professional Engineer designation and six years’ of related experience in managing transportation planning projects, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Registration or eligibility to register as a Professional Engineer in British Columbia
- Experience with long-range planning, transportation policy, transportation economics and sociology, analysis of transportation network options, transit planning and design, and complete street design principles or guidelines
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of civil engineering practices, principles and techniques related to transportation planning
- Extensive knowledge of transportation economics, transportation modelling, and behavioral and network science
- Working understanding of City by-laws, transportation policies, infrastructure development processes, and policy development processes.
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to motivate, engage and mentor staff
- Excellent communication (oral and written), interpersonal and presentation skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills including the demonstrated ability to deal effectively with multiple tasks of moderate complexity and setting/meeting competing deadlines
- Ability to research, analyze, estimate, and present recommendations for complex transportation projects
- Ability to write effectively, organize and maintain project documentation, prepare status reports and summaries
- Ability to speak effectively in public through formal and informal meetings and presentations
- Ability to develop and maintain positive, productive relationships at all levels in the organization and with external stakeholders
- Ability to be proactive and responsive when resolving enquiries from the public and stakeholders
- Proficient in the use of software applications and databases
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2021
Application Close: June 4, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source