Senior Systems Administrator
To be determined
HOURS OF WORK:
35 hours per week
Posted until filled
Encompassing an unparalleled geographic region in the heart of British Columbia, the Thompson-Nicola Regional District (TNRD) offers the best of both worlds. Urban life within vibrant communities and outlying rural regions that showcase the region’s beauty – pristine but rugged mountains, rolling grasslands, lush evergreen forests, and both historical and modern areas, all within 45,000 square kilometres. Headquartered in the City of Kamloops, the TNRD provides a wide range of local government services to the population of 130,000 living within its 11 diverse municipalities and 10 electoral areas.
This position formally reports to the Manager of Technology Services; The Senior Systems Administrator will act as a group leader, including coordinating and communicating workloads, priorities, and recommending training. The Administrator will be responsible for the day to day monitoring and operations of all corporate networks, and will be required to plan, design, build, manage and support all aspects of complex and diverse network infrastructure, as well as the day to day operating of security infrastructure such as firewalls and intrusion detection infrastructure. This work is performed under minimum supervision and requires the exercise of independence of judgement and action in the technical, operational, and problem-solving aspects of the work and the ability to assess business requirements for client departments. This position is centralized in the TNRD Head Office in Kamloops.
The Senior Systems Administrator:
- Is the technical lead for all network and system initiatives.
- Develops the overall network architecture design and ensures infrastructure is current, assesses near and long term network capacity needs, and performs capacity planning and disaster recovery.
- Is responsible for the overall networking and systems performance, monitoring, maintenance, support, and optimization; performs advanced network duties and functions.
- Is responsible for the security planning, configuration, administration, and documentation of LAN, WAN, Firewalls and VPN’s
- Supports staff in maintaining corporate voice systems, which include VOIP, PBX, and IVR systems.
- Will periodically support staff by completing helpdesk tickets to strengthen relations and communications with staff, and ensure the helpdesk system is proficient, tracking results, and resolving problems.
- Monitor’s and implements Servers and Network Storage Appliances
- Evaluates new technologies and provides recommendations and direction on technical solutions.
- Communicates with services providers, vendors, and contractors in the resolution of complex issues, quoting and purchasing equipment, and assists the department manager with the administration of contracts.
- Follows proper change management processes and post-implementation review of modifications and enhancements.
- Will be required to work non-standard hours to implement changes
- Perform other related duties may be assigned from time to time
Required Education and Experience
- Post-secondary degree in Computer Systems or an IT related discipline or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- 7+ years’ experience in designing, supporting, and maintaining complex network environments
- Experience performing Helpdesk functions including providing telephone, remote or onsite support to end-users
- Strong knowledge of Cisco and HP, Routers, Switches, Firewall, and VPN appliances, IP phones, VOIP, and telephony and Cisco Call Manager communication system.
- Strong in Microsoft Servers and Linux server systems (apache, bind, postfix, firewalls)
- Working knowledge of Network storage systems, NetApp.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Ability to investigate and resolve operating system and network hardware and related component problems as related to the work performed
- Demonstrated ability to Investigate, troubleshoot, and resolve technical issues logically
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and external contacts
- Ability to prepare and present technical presentations both orally and in writing
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of data, and work with limited supervision.
- Demonstrated business acumen
- The candidate must possession of a valid BC Class 5 Driver’s License.
Qualifications that would be considered an asset:
- Experience in Library ILS systems an asset.
- Preference will be given to candidates with professional certifications in networking, Microsoft, Linux, and security
- ITIL training would be an asset.
This position requires a Criminal Record Check and completion of a driver’s abstract.
This is a non-union position, with a salary range of $82,000-$92,572 and a competitive comprehensive benefits package being offered.
Interested applicants are asked to please email their cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting Competition #2020-042.
While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Thank you for considering the Thompson-Nicola Regional District as a place to share your talents!
View Original Source Source