Senior Project Manager – Development and Major Projects
Requisition ID: 23957
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
Reporting to the Branch Manager, the Senior Project Manager will be responsible for managing a number of complex, high priority development projects.
The position is a part of a technical cross disciplinary team that works closely with a team of Branch Managers, Project Managers, Corporate functional groups, Design and Operations groups, along with multiple internal and external stakeholders and partners. The Senior Project Manager will be responsible for providing overarching project management responsibilities for Engineering Services for a number of development projects.
The position may also help provide oversight to the Development Services group, and will be a key contact in Engineering for matters relating to the development permit process as well as construction site inspection.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for facilitating large area developments in the policy, rezoning, development permit, and construction phases
- Managing/fostering the relationship between the City and the development/construction industry, with a focus on minimizing impacts to residents, business owners and the public
- Overseeing the design, construction, and acceptance process for large scale developer funded road works
- Representing Engineering Services in multi-disciplinary project technical teams that process large and/or complex developments
- Liaising with consultants, contractors, engineers, other professionals, stakeholders, developers, land owners and regulatory agency representatives for development application review and approvals
- Responsible for instructing Legal Services and reviewing legal agreements to facilitate development, primarily for the purposes of securing public works, rights-of-ways, encroachments and options to purchase, while limiting risk and liability to the City
- Providing direction on and overseeing development project and project management activities including defining project scope, objectives, success factors, deliverables, and quality measurements to meet the business needs;
- Proactively identifying and engaging stakeholders to identify and manage risks throughout the project; identify funding gaps and prepare reports and presentations;
- Facilitating and leading project progress, reporting and decision-making meetings with the project departmental leadership;
- Working with a team of Project Managers, Planners, Engineers, Lawyers, Design and Operations groups, multiple internal and external stakeholders, and partners to project manage externally led projects;
- Providing project status reports and making recommendations on items such as scope change or mitigation strategies to the Project Sponsor(s);
- Contributing to the adoption of project management practices through mentorship, project management framework development and training opportunities;
- Identifying and managing both project specific and program wide opportunities to enhance overall value to the public from the perspectives of scope, quality, schedule, cost, risk, resources, stakeholder expectations and overall public disruption;
- Responsible for developing and modernizing relevant department by-laws, policies and guidelines
- Providing leadership and guidance to junior engineers and engineering assistants, including hiring, assigning responsibilities, evaluating performance, coaching, mentoring and training and development;
- Leading meetings between internal staff, developers, and consultants;
- Responsible for administering project accounts and identifying financial risks;
- Perform other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, Landscape Architecture, Planning, Business Process Management or a related field; Master’s Degree in Planning, MBA or M Eng preferred.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) designation considered an asset.
- Minimum 5 years of demonstrated experience as a project manager, lea ding multi-disciplinary teams through the various stages of complex development projects.
- Demonstrated experience developing and reporting on projects and programs, researching and preparing business cases for various projects and initiatives, developing analyses and reports; and formulating options for presentation and decision-making.
- Experience in managing teams and diverse stakeholder groups, including internal and external management of specialist staff.
- Experience managing teams in a unionized environment an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in managing multi-disciplinary teams and diverse stakeholder groups on complex development projects
- Extensive background in the City’s land development process
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of the department’s role in the land development process and relevant City by-laws
- Extensive knowledge in infrastructure or engineering projects
- Ability to effectively negotiate complex issues with developers in the best interest of the department, City, and taxpayers
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and influence others while respecting the sensitive and political challenges that impact decisions
- Knowledge of project management methodologies, practices, processes and policies and their application
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and manage multiple projects and processes with competing schedules and resources
- Ability to organize, coordinate, and manage projects and project teams crossing multiple divisions, multiple business processes and multiple stakeholder groups
- Experience in public consultation and conflict resolution with the ability to reconcile differing perspectives, develop consensus, and secure cooperation and support from both stakeholders and team members
- Experience working in a matrix reporting relationship an asset
- Ability to converse with, write reports for and create/deliver presentations to all levels of colleagues and peer groups in ways that support problem solving and planning
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with technical and professional staff, as well as external third parties
- Demonstrated ability to innovate, lead and motivate employees and implement change in the workplace
- Experience working in public sector environment
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: March, 2021
Application Close: January 31, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source