Requisition ID: 24914
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents. Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
We are looking for a Senior Manager, Strategic Business Advisory to serve as internal management consultant across the City of Vancouver’s diverse business units, playing an important leadership role within the organisation as strategy and business advisory subject matter expert.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Manager, Strategic Business Advisory is responsible for managing a portfolio of complex, high-impact projects involving cross-departmental teams. This position plays a leadership role that varies from project to project, involving:
- Development of business models, operating models and/or business plans for new and incubating initiatives across the City’s diverse set of operating units,
- Leading initiatives to address a specific set of issues or leverage a specific opportunity, culminating in recommendations to senior management based on robust options development and analysis,
- Evaluation of business proposals and/or negotiating terms and conditions with strategic partners for new business areas,
- Leading organizational and business reviews of existing City operational units, making recommendations to improve performance, efficiency and effectiveness,
- Providing sophisticated business strategy and execution advice to operational managers, and/or
- Taking the lead on managing complex business relationships with a selection of the City’s external strategic partners.
Within this general framework, the specific duties of these roles are relatively dynamic, and change over time with the operational priorities and business needs of the organisation.
Education and Experience
- A post-graduate degree in Business Administration or Public Administration, or equivalent (e.g., MBA, MPA).
- A minimum of eight years’ business advisory and/or project management experience, preferably as a management consultant, with increasing responsibility for complex and multi-faceted business, operations and/or service delivery projects.
- Significant experience working directly with senior management, boards of directors or other governance bodies.
- Experience working in an environment that balances public policy and business objectives, and/or experience working with local governments are considered assets for this position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proven business planning, business analysis, business case preparation/evaluation and financial analysis/modelling skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, balancing independence, initiative and decisiveness with good judgement and a collaborative approach.
- Strong research, analytical and problem-solving skills that can be applied to complex, multi-faceted issues, with the ability to think objectively and innovatively, and to present solutions in clear and compelling terms.
- Strong facilitation skills, with the ability to bring together people with a diverse set of interests, styles and areas of expertise, and align them toward a unified goal.
- An aptitude for and interest in learning about a wide variety of topics.
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to concurrently manage multiple tasks and competing priorities.
- Superior written communication, verbal communication and presentation skills, as well as a high level of competency in office productivity tools and technology.
Business Unit/Department: City Manager’s Office
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Application Close: July 11, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. If you would like to be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity, please apply through our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source