Requisition ID: 25038
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The primary function of this position is to conduct complex, challenging operational / performance audits and assurance assignments to ensure appropriate, effective risk management and internal control systems are in place for the City’s departments, boards, and programs.
This role reports to the Chief of Internal Audit and works as part of a team with business managers and staff in audit and assurance assignments. The successful candidate will exercise a high degree of independence, creativity and decision making in performing assignments with minimal direction.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, leads and executes complex internal audit and assurance assignments to assess reliability or relevance of data and operations, as well as verifying accountability and cost effectiveness of the City’s functions and programs
- Provides recommendations to senior management on policies, procedures, business processes improvements and changes in staff resources (i.e. all assignments focus on effectiveness and efficiency, recommendations affect staff positions, reporting relationships and how the work is conducted. etc.)
- Utilitizes data analytics to review business risk exposures and unusual trends
- Conducts special investigations. This includes interviewing employees to determine liability and accountability. Makes recommendations to correct or eliminate human error, carelessness, negligence or willful wrongdoing. Evaluates business unit risk exposures and recommends improvements and compensating management controls
- Prepares audit reports, statements and related correspondences
- Provides advisory services to business unit managers on policies, procedures, and management controls issues
- Works in conjunction with external auditors and other City staff on particular assignments
- Presents findings and recommendations to various levels of management.
- Participates in the development of new standards
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Information Technology or related field
- A professional accounting designation (CPA or equivalent)
- Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Fraud Examiner designation is an asset
- Solid, progressive background in management, auditing and accounting with minimum 5 years post-qualification experience in a municipal government environment and/or large complex business organization
- Experience in performance auditing in a municipal government setting is preferred
- Demonstrable training and experience in control and risk assessment work
- Experience in performance measurement, program evaluation, management analysis, process improvement and control risk assessment
- Must be able to pass an enhanced background check
Business Unit/Department: Internal Audit
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: February 2021
Application Close: January 17, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source