Senior Financial Analyst II (Finance and Performance Measurement)
Requisition ID: 21260
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Finance and Performance Measurement Financial Analyst II will be a senior member of a team of Finance and Performance Measurement Analysts in the City’s Centre of Expertise for Service Planning and Performance Measurement.
Interfacing with key business leaders from client departments as well as the City’s Corporate Leadership team, your work will enable the City to leverage performance metrics to support strategic, operational and financial decisions as well as support service transformation by driving accountability, improving transparency and increasing value for money.
This role will partner closely with other Corporate Support teams to foster a culture of data driven decision making across the city by working with client departments to increase data literacy, enable data exploration, and disseminate business intelligence tools and processes amongst end users.
Key Contacts and Reporting Relationships
- Reports to the Manager, Finance and Performance Measurement
- A key member of the Financial Planning & Analysis team
- Key contacts include:
- Internal: Corporate Leadership Team, peers across the Finance organization, Corporate support departments such as IT and HR, management teams and process owners from client departments and boards
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Leading and participating in the City’s Service Planning process and Performance Measurement reporting including linking the Service Plans to performance metrics, budgets, Departmental work plans, and the Corporate Plan
- Providing leadership and guidance to your peers within the team. Motivating and inspiring everybody to be their best.
- Developing, monitoring and analyzing performance metrics, financial data and benchmarks to establish the cost efficiency and effectiveness of services
- Assist client departments in identifying opportunities to increase process accountability, transparency and value for money
- Providing data analysis and financial decision support which could include financial modelling, business analysis, and business case development
- Creating a standard City wide methodology for benchmarking performance and efficiency
- Reviewing the impact of major City decisions on service plans and performance
- Developing and tracking short term focus metrics to support continuous process improvement and improved service outcomes
- Proposing high value datasets for enablement through the City’s Enterprise Data Enablement process, building and deploying automated dashboards and reporting processes using business intelligence tools.
- Working with client departments to foster data literacy and user adoption of business intelligence tools and processes though end user support and training.
- Working with client departments to uncover and remediate data quality issues.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Statistics, Business, Commerce, Business Analytics or a related discipline
- Professional accounting designation (CPA) or MBA
- Minimum 6-8 years of post-designation experience in performance measurement, data analysis budgeting, and financial analysis
- Experience in supporting and developing strategies to support major corporate decisions and identifying performance measures to inform strategic decisions
- Experience in building or reviewing highly complex financial and operational models
- Business intelligence experience, familiarity with data management, BI tools, data mining, designing reports and dashboards to facilitate evidence based effective decision making
- Extensive experience in strategically answering complex business problems through data analysis, scenario modeling and creative thinking
- Initiating business process improvements, supporting strategic decisions and change initiatives for a large organization
- Significant experience in supporting and facilitating complex multi-stakeholder initiatives and engagements
- Experience with the creation and presentation of public information (formal/informal reports, other publications) as well as engagement involving a diverse range of stakeholders
- Proven ability to simultaneously manage multiple organizational priorities, projects, and deadlines
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of performance metrics, finance, and business concepts
- Strong business acumen and the ability to link financial and operational metrics
- Proven ability to “connect the dots” and make strategic recommendations within the broad corporate context taking into consideration interdependencies among policies and initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to make sound judgments in a wide variety of complex situations with no established precedents
- Ability to create data models, measurements and dashboards using Business Intelligence tools such as Excel, PowerPivot, PowerQuery, Qlik Sense & Power BI
- Ability to perform complex financial modeling and scenario analysis
- Excellent communication and presentations skills with the ability to deliver complex concepts to both technical and non- technical audiences
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to represent and serve the City at all levels as well as interact with customers and clients outside the organization
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with ability to manage multiple tasks with competing priorities
- Superior research and analytical skills
- Problem-solving and issue resolution skills in a complex business environment
- Ability to maintain professionalism, objectivity, confidentiality, tact and diplomacy
Business Unit/Department: Finance, Risk & Supply Chain Management (1150)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: November, 2020
Application Close: Sept.30, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source