Requisition ID: 24633
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Reporting to the Branch Manager, Utilities Management, the Senior Engineer position supervises a team of engineers and technical staff to provide full life-cycle utilities projects, encroachment and public art initiatives including the development of policy, guidelines and procedures for the Utilities Management Branch.
Senior Engineer will work collaboratively with multidisciplinary consultants, interdepartmentally within Engineering Services and with other CoV departments such as Law, Finance, Risk, Planning, Parks, Facilities, Real Estate, Supply Chain Management and Development Services to identify stakeholder and partner requirements and ensure successful planning and implementation of 3rd party utility projects.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides leadership and guidance to junior engineers and engineering assistants including hiring, assigning responsibilities, evaluating performance, coaching, mentoring, training and development, and discipline up to and including termination
- Responsible for providing senior technical expertise for regulating the use of City streets by private telecommunications and utilities. In addition the work involves participating in proceedings with regulatory agencies such as the CRTC and the BC Utilities Commission and developing policy around these activities
- Initiates and completes detailed design work and technical studies, work with City construction crews and direct other technical and clerical staff to assist in carrying out the required duties
- Performs complex investigations, co-ordination of construction works and innovative projects related to telecommunications and utility coordination issues
- Develops and builds on complex partnerships with internal and external stakeholders necessary to successfully deliver on project objectives; ensuring that stakeholders are identified, engaged, informed and given opportunities to shape project details as applicable
- Represents Engineering Services in multi-disciplinary project technical teams to co-ordinate and manage departmental review processes for project design drawings and standards, and making decisions for any identified conflicts as necessary
- Coordinates and manages the construction of internally and externally delivered infrastructure utility projects, with a focus on minimizing impacts to residents, business owners and the public
- Responsible for instructing Legal Services and reviewing legal agreements to facilitate amendments to Municipal Access Agreements, primarily for the purposes of securing use of City streets, rights-of-ways, encroachments and installation of Public Art on City streets
- Provides overall support to the Branch Manager and makes presentations to Council, Committees of the Whole, and advisory committees to Council as required
- Supports the Organizational Quality Management (OQM) program
- In addition, the incumbent will be required to write letters, technical specifications, and various studies and reports
Education and Experience:
- University degree in Electrical or Civil Engineering, Construction Management or equivalent
- A minimum 6-7 years of progressive experience in design, construction and project management including engineering, operational, and administrative responsibilities
- Registration or eligibility for registration as a P.Eng with EGBC
- Accredited project management training (eg. PMP certification, tertiary qualification) would be an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive background in the City’s 3rd party utility use of streets and municipal access process and relevant City by-laws
- Experience in engineering and project management including planning, detailed design, construction, and contract management of engineering projects and in particular utilities such as BC Hydro, Fortis or Telus
- Proven ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with internal and external partners and stakeholders
- Familiarity with the City’s street system and 3rd Party utility policies and regulations
- Experience in dealing with multiple tasks, and setting and meeting competing deadlines
- Well-developed interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
Business Unit/Department: Engineering Services (1300)
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: March 2021
Application Close: February 7, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source