Senior Business Licensing Officer
THE OKANAGAN LIFESTYLE IS CALLING!
COMPETITION NO. 21-24E
OPENS FEBRUARY 19, 2021
CLOSES MARCH 14, 2021
The City of West Kelowna is looking for an experienced individual to lead the Business Licensing team. The City values a diverse workforce and the ideal candidate for this position will bring the skill, passion, and expertise obtained from experience in a variety of relevant fields; such as Planning, Building, Law Enforcement, as well as Inspectors from all levels of municipal, provincial and federal disciplines.
This is a new full-time position where the incumbent will be responsible for developing, and leading the business licensing strategies and department goals. The Senior Business Licensing Officer carries out a variety of technical, regulatory, enforcement and administrative functions. These functions includes coordinating business license applications/renewals; preparing departmental reports; and explains and interprets bylaws and regulations to the public.
As a resident expert on the applicable codes and bylaws relating to business licensing, this is an exciting opportunity to develop, amendments to relevant bylaws, licensing policies, and procedures, for new business categories and sectors such as Short Term Rentals and Mobile Food Vendors.
The successful applicant will provide leadership in the development of business licensing process, collection and analysis of a variety of business data, responding to public and staff inquiries while exercising courtesy and diplomacy. Good knowledge of applicable regulations, policies and practices which govern departmental activities, is essential to this position. Excellent communications and customer service skills and the ability to foster and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the public will also guide success in this position.
Our ideal candidate:
- Minimum of 7 years professional field experience for a municipality directly related to administration of business licensing or business development and enforcement of Business License oriented bylaws
- Minimum of 2 years working experience in a leadership capacity, preferably in a unionized environment
- Post-Secondary courses with business management focus or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Considerable knowledge of overall regulatory and policy approaches, combined with technical and regulatory experience related to property use, compliance, and enforcement options
- Extensive knowledge of relevant legislation, bylaws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures applicable to business licensing
- Knowledge of Building Code and Fire code would be an asset
- Demonstrated ability to coach, support and guide others while enhancing individual and team effectiveness
- Ability to mentor and foster the development of direct reports
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain effective working relationships.
- Demonstrated ability in dealing tactfully and sensitively with the public, elected officials, government agencies, other municipalities and business clients.
- Proven conflict resolution
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including well developed report writing
- Demonstrated ability to write, revise and review bylaws and regulations
- Proficiency in Vadim and Microsoft office programs, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Ability to exercise courtesy, tact and diplomacy in sensitive and/or conflict situations, often in the face of substantial and unwarranted verbal abuse
- Valid Class 5 B.C. Driver’s License
PAY $44.69/HR @ 40HR/WK, M-F
View Original Source Source