Requisition ID: 28756
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The Security Supervisor within City Protective Services oversees and coordinates the security operations at City Hall campus, Vanier Park, the Security Operations Centre (SOC) and other civic properties as assigned; identifies potential security problems and develops corresponding plans and protocols to ensure safety of staff and patrons. Under the direction of the Manager, Security Operations, the Security Supervisor assists in the development of security policies and procedures and supports in the completion of administrative processes. The position leads, supervises, trains, coaches and mentors staff to be successful in a service-focused environment.
This is a 24/7 operation and hours will vary based on operational needs in accordance with the collective agreeement.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises and evaluates the work of Security Officers
- Sets performance goals and conducts performance reviews with staff. Manages staff attendance proactively and consistently.
- Provides guidance, support, direction and coaching to staff to support their success.
- Attracts, retains, supports and recognizes staff.
- Supports in the hiring and recruitment activities as assigned
- Develops, implements and evaluates policies and procedures
- Schedules all reporting CPS staff to ensure required coverage is obtained at applicable civic properties.
- Participates in the development and operations of an effective workforce management system, including scheduling, payroll validation and employee training certification, in accordance with collective bargaining agreements.
- Models personal excellence and supports staff to incorporate value based decision-making, teamwork, adaptability and innovation, and initiative into their work.
- Supports the alignment of security programs with the City of Vancouver life safety programs and other emergency response requirements, including the floor warden and emergency evacuation procedures.
- Directs staff in emergency situations and makes decisions independently related to immediate response and management of critical incidences.
- Works collaboratively with staff, community and citizens to anticipate issues and facilitate resolution.
- Represents the City in a professional manner that demonstrates the values of the City, REFM and City Protective Services.
- Identifies staff training needs and organizing training sessions to maintain and increase staff skills in areas such as procedural awareness, dealing with conflict, de-escalation skills, appropriate use of force and self-defence.
- Represents City Protective Services on various operational committees.
- Reviewing and responding to security incident reports, supports incident and security event escalation across various civic properties and presenting incident escalations and summaries for CPS Management as applicable.
- Completes preliminary investigations and compiles investigative reports and management briefing notes as required.
- Is responsible for the tracking and reporting on performance metrics and associated operational KPIS.
- Ensures all staff have appropriate and up-to-date first aid and/or security certifications in compliance with the City’s OH&S Program Manual and BC’s Occupational Health and Safety Regulations. Maintains and updates staff certification records.
- Manages supplies and equipment including first aid supplies, emergency cabinets, uniform/boot replacement program etc.
- Functionally responsible for budgetary line items and holds the signing authority for daily expenditures based on established qualifications and limits, and provides approval for payment.
- Processes and follows up on work requests through the Contracted Security Vendor
- Develops and oversees compliance to security policies and procedures from public, security officers and City of Vancouver staff by reviewing reports, monitoring activity and providing appropriate escalation.
- Develops response plans for special events with consultation with stakeholders and informs and trains the team of officers on approach
- Meets with representatives from Police and Fire on matters related to the work.
- Covers 3-1-1 after-hours to connect to public and Work Control Center to support emergency facility needs with contractors and work shops
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by courses in security including Advanced Security Training (AST) and in leadership, and sound industry related experience in a supervisory capacity or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Post-secondary education in a related field (minimum 2-year diploma) preferred or equivalent education and experience
- Occupational First Aid Level II Certification required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of security policies, procedures, techniques, principles, standards and requirements as they relate to the work performed.
- Considerable knowledge of the buildings and grounds patrolled, and control, alarm and monitoring systems.
- Working knowledge of the organization of the City, the general functions of its departments, and the nature of services performed.
- Working knowledge of modern office management procedures.
- Some knowledge of criminal and civil law as related to the work performed.
- Ability to coordinate and oversee security operations and to develop, present and implement security plans, policies and protocols.
- Ability to effectively communicate and multi-task in an operational environment
- Ability to supervise a subordinate group engaged in security, reception and information referral.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of internal and external contacts, including City Hall staff, elected officials, and citizens.
- Ability to enforce rules and regulations with firmness and tact while remaining sensitive to citizens’ ability to engage their elected officials.
- Ability to respond effectively in emergency and problematic situations and to anticipate problems before they occur.
- Ability to investigate critical incidents and conduct investigative interviews.
- Ability to prepare and conduct staff training and workshops.
- Ability to establish, maintain and prepare a variety of records, files and reports related to the work.
- Ability to perform the duties of a Security Patrol Officer as required.
Drivers License and Record Checks:
- Must possess a valid drivers license for the Province of British Columbia
- A Police Information Check is a requirement of this position. A clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: May, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-019: $29.74 to $34.98 per hour
Application Close: April 23, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
View Original Source Source