Requisition ID: 21416
The City of Vancouver is striving to become the greenest city in the world, and a city powered entirely by renewable energy before 2050. We are proud to be one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, and one of Canada’s Greenest Employers. With employees that have helped Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities, the City values a diverse workforce which represents the vibrant community we so proudly serve.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
The City of Vancouver Protective Services Officer is responsible for providing a range of safety and security functions at civic properties. This position is required to provide routine and prevention based support, in addition to responding to escalating and emergency situations. The duties of this position may include control center responsibilities, first aid and security response, site patrolling and provisioning of access control
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Customer Service (25%)
- Provides direction and support to public, staff and contractors entering or leaving the civic buildings
- Provides response and support to inquiries from public, staff and contractors (in person, systems or email)
Security Services Prevention (45%)
- Monitors and grants access in a timely fashion to appropriate staff, contractors and authorised personnel
- Monitors security cameras (CCTV) covering a variety of locations and responds and escalates accordingly
- Performs lengthy, interior and exterior foot patrols (1 2 hours per patrol) in designated locations across civic facilities and parking areas in order to maintain safety and security
- Follows established protocols for lock up and closure of the facilities to ensure civic facilities are secure
- Identifies risk and escalates accordingly to ensure effective control measures are established
Security Services Escalation (15%)
- Provides security and/or first aid response (OFA2) when engaged
- Resolves conflicts using verbal de escalation
- Performs dispatch and control center duties in a dynamic and fast moving operations center.
- Investigates unusual events or incidents and provide written detailed incident reports in a timely fashion
- Responds to emergency situations as a priority and calls for appropriate assistance which may include police, ambulance or fire services.
- Responds to security and safety emergencies either in person or through control room mechanisms. Chose appropriate escalation which may include Police, ambulance or Fire services.
- Maintains records of keys, access cards and other forms of information for staff, contractors, and authorised persons to city of Vancouver facilities
- Receives and re directs incoming mail as per site instructions
- Other duties as assigned.
This role will require working morning, afternoon, and night shifts.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 10, Grade 12 is preferred
- Courses related to the work and some related experience working in a similar institution or a combination of training, education and experience
- Occupational First Aid Level II
- Basic Security Training (BST)
- Advanced Security Training (AST)
- Police Record Check will be required for this position
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of security policies, procedures, techniques, principles, standards and requirements as they relate to the work performed
- Working knowledge of the buildings, grounds, parking areas etc. that will be patrolled and/or secured.
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service excellence.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills to deal effectively and tactfully with difficult or potentially volatile situations.
- Good computer skills and working knowledge of computer information access and protection
- Good written and verbal communication skills and the ability to write reports as required.
- Ability to remain calm, professional, alert and high functioning under stressful conditions
- Ability to gain cooperation from others and to take effective measures in emergency situations.
- Ability to implement conflict resolution strategies.
- Ability to collect, analyze and prioritize relevant information.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, complex and changing working environment.
- Ability to understand priority situations and attend to them in a timely fashion.
- Ability to handle confidential and/or sensitive information with a high degree of discretion and impartially
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision, and as part of a larger team.
- Ability to establish, maintain and prepare a variety of records, files and reports related to the work.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position including walking long distances, up and down stairs under a variety of weather conditions.
- Ability to physically lower and raise heavy duty flags, under a variety of weather conditions.
Business Unit/Department: Real Estate & Facilities Mgmt (1100)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Auxiliary/Casual
Position Start Date: October 2020
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-013: $23.44 to $27.45 per hour
Application Close: September 27, 2020
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. We encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds, including Indigenous applicants, all genders, nationalities and persons with disabilities.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
View Original Source Source