Requisition ID: 23493
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tsleil-Waututh, Vancouver consistently rank as one of the world’s most livable cities. The City of Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation, and the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada’s Top 100 Employers, BC’s Top Employers, and Canada’s Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Known as the “living room of the Downtown Eastside,” Carnegie Centre offers educational, recreational, cultural and social programming for the benefit of low income people of the Downtown Eastside. The Carnegie Community Centre is currently recruiting two (2) regular part time Security Attendant I.
Reporting to the Security Coordinator, the Security Attendant I is the public’s first point of contact. As part of the security team, the position supports Centre security and safety, and works to create a safe and welcoming environment for patrons and staff.
- Responsible for ensuring a safe, welcoming and accessible environment for patrons and staff, and for the security of the premises.
- Deescalating conflict and managing situations using a hands-off and conflict-positive approach
- Monitoring entrances and ensuring alignment with the Centre’s access and rules of conduct; monitoring patron behavior
- Making regular rounds of the building
- Providing first aid
- Working cooperatively with emergency services
- Assisting patrons in a supportive manner by providing information on both community and Centre services and activities
- Making referrals as required
- Assisting the Information Clerk as needed
- Monitoring and assisting with programs and events as required
- Recording problems and communicating information to other staff by way of log entries, incident reports and emails
- Operating a two-way radio
- Performing janitorial duties as required
- Maintaining health and safety standards
- Performing other duties as required.
- Displaying experience in providing quality security and patron support services in a community, social service or health care environment serving marginalized people.
- Ability to enforce rules with firmness, tact, and diplomacy
- Taking effective measures in emergency situations
- Defuse/de–escalating volatile situations
- Exercising good judgment
- Communicating effectively with a diverse population
- Understanding and follow written instructions
- Making written reports
- Working with minimal supervision.
- Developing good working relations with patrons and staff
- Understanding the needs and problems of patrons; and exercises compassion.
- Using defusing/de–escalating skills when responding to volatile situations. Physical intervention is always a last resort.
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 10 and, preferably, Occupational First Aid Level 1 or ability to get in upon hire
- Experience working with vulnerable populations preferably in a social service setting would be an asset.
- A clear Criminal Record Check is a requirement of the position
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the Downtown Eastside community, local agencies and services;
- Considerable knowledge of the Carnegie Community Centre’s rules, policies, services and operations is an asset
- Experience working in a community, social service or healthcare environment would be considered assets.
- A Police Record Check is a requirement of this position. A Clearance requires the absence of any criminal charges or convictions related to this position.
Business Unit/Department: Arts, Culture and Community Services (1200)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Reg. P/T Benefits
Position Start Date: March 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-013: $23.44 to $27.45 per hour
Application Close: February 12, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve e. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
View Original Source Source